Help support your MeetupChip in
A laid back informal ultimate frisbee game at Blueberry Hill Park - 1 walkable mile from the Shady Grove Metro station, Sunday mornings at 9. We welcome veterans, people who haven't thrown a frisbee before, and everyone in between.
Best of all, it's free to play and we're nice people who take water breaks! We've been playing since 2009. Not all of our players are on Meetup.com to RSVP.
In case of rain the night before or the morning of play, check this site to see if we're still playing. If the field's closed, there's a chance that we won't play. If the field's open, but there's a steady downpour, it's unlikely that we'll play. To check the field's status, call the Montgomery County field information line at 7 am on the day of play at 301-765-8787, then press 1, then 9, then 1 for the Shady Grove area.
We play on the baseball outfield grass next to the soccer field.
A convenient parking location is at the corner of Ironforge Court and Needwood Road in Gaithersburg, MD 20855. To get here...
From 270 South... Take exit 9 to 370 East. Exit at the Metro station and take the loop around the station Turn left onto Redland Rd Take a left at the light onto Needwood Rd (second entrance) Blueberry Hill is 1/2 mile on the right
From 270 North... Exit 8 (Shady Grove Road) Keep far to the right on the exit, following signs to Redland Blvd and merge onto Redland Road Go 2 miles (passing a Safeway and crossing 355) and take a left onto Needwood Rd (second entrance) Blueberry Hill is 1/2 mile on the right
From the Metro station... Go out the East exit, cross the parking lot towards Redland Rd. Take a left on Redland. Take a left at the second entrance to Needwood Rd (there's a light). The park is on the right.
If you need an address for your own directions, you can use 16617 Bethayres Road, Gaithersburg, MD, 20855. That'll place you at another parking lot. Look for us in the baseball outfield.
How we play:
*If you don't know how to play, we'll teach you the basics....all are welcome!
* We don't use stall counts, force defenses, cup defenses, stacks, etc. Some have said we play ultimate with a backyard family atmosphere. Playing ultimate should be fun!
* We aim for easy going gameplay so you won't be given (or giving!) commands on how to run or where to play. Nobody wants to be told what to do.
* We welcome players of all abilities who make it a point to get everyone involved in the game. Don't make us have to remind you to throw it to your other, open teammates, even if they're not superstar players because, really, none of us are.
* Remember that ultimate frisbee is a non-contact sport. We have players from 7 to over 60, so rough play is not cool here. Overly aggressive play will earn you a timeout. If it's a pattern, we'll boot you from the group.
* We usually have at least 7v7; often we have enough for two games. No matter the turnout, we'll get some exercise.
* Hope to see you there!
11,952 Going Out Allstars!
2,276 Ultimate Frisbee Players
609 Tennis Players