addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bluegrass Canoe and Kayak Group Message Board › Canoe and Kayak

Canoe and Kayak

Don P.
user 13711758
Group Organizer
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 61
Malcolm, been getting your emails, but replies to them are blocked by earthlink. Filled out the form to unblock, but guess you haven't accepted. Sent you a private message via Meetup, but don't know if that got through. If you didn't get the PM, let me know.
A former member
Post #: 21
Just an update, I spoke with a ranger for Laurel Lake. Primitive camping is allowed, she is sending me a map with the areas marked. So with that and some scouting from you guys we should be able to put together a nice trip.
Don P.
user 13711758
Group Organizer
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 62
Michelle mailed the Laurel Lake map to me. I scanned the area that had annotations on it and added it to the "Files" area under the More menu. Hopefully we can set up a scouting trip when it warms up a little. Either a day trip or overnighter. If you are interested, let me know.
Don P.
user 13711758
Group Organizer
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 64
Couple of other possible events...LACK, in conjunction with Shaker Village's Adventure Day, has for the past two years had a paddling weekend/camping trip at Shaker Landing. Should be the first weekend in June. They usually paddle up the Dix on Saturday, and either do that again on Sunday, or go up to the blue heron rookery on the Kentucky. Bob Roth has had a huge part in setting that up, and may be able to confirm if they are doing it again this year. Two years ago, I led a group of about 5 on the 18 mile Camp Nelson to Shaker Village trip on Saturday instead of doing the Dix. May see how much interest there is in doing that again.

Mid-May might be a good time to set up a day trip to go up to the heron rookery from the Lock 7 Rd ramp. Its about 4.5 miles one-way. Weekend-wise, looks like I could only do that on May 26. The rookery is between the river and the cliffs on one side of the river for maybe .2 mile, with maybe 100 nests. Chicks should be fairly large at that time. Or May 4 or 5th.
A former member
Post #: 22

Don, do you want me to add this to suggested on May 26? It would be great to see the rookery.
Don P.
user 13711758
Group Organizer
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 65
Sure, I was just waiting to see if there was interest on that day, and if not, feel free to set one up earlier when I'm not able to make it because if the 18 mile trip gets set up, I'll see it the next week anyway.
Tony S.
user 78639972
Morehead, KY
Post #: 1
I would recommend a trip down the Tygarts Creek. Putin downtown Olive Hill-take out Carter Caves bridge. The trip is about 14 miles on the water and takes about 4-5hours and could be done in 3 at a decent flow and a steady paddle. The area is beautiful and the creek is mostly moving flat water. A couple of borderline class 2 rapids. I have taken my 15 yr old daughter down in an 18 foot canoe with no problem. The challenge is flow, there needs to be at least 400cfs and I have ran it at 1800cfs and am sure it is doable higher than that.
Don P.
user 13711758
Group Organizer
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 67
Hey Tony, long time no see. If you plan any Tygarts trips, let us know. I would love to get out there, and I'm sure a few others would. Looks like an opportunity in a few days when it drops a little, but the weather doesn't look too good until after the weekend.
A former member
Post #: 11
If you guys are willing to commit to these trips, please post them.
Don P.
user 13711758
Group Organizer
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 68
I don't see any counter-offers on the rookery trip, so I'll set up for May 26 and can move it if we need to. Will wait to make sure Shaker Village and LACK are doing their event before I post the 18 miler, or cross-post the other Adventure Day trips with LACK. Tygarts is going to have to be more like a whitewater run. You may have 3 days notice ahead of time.