Bluegrass Canoe and Kayak Group Message Board › Extra boats...

Extra boats...

Malcolm
user 10881609
Group Organizer
Lexington, KY
Post #: 10
A number of people have asked me about the availability of boats to borrow or purchase. Any comments?
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 63
Used or demo boats are the way to go when you are just getting started. You usually don't know what you ultimately want, so its good not to take a big hit of depreciation as you are learning - but every boat I've ever gotten has been used or a demo - just takes patience, diligence, and persistence. They don't come up extremely frequently, but monitor the canoe and kayak meetup groups around. There are 4 or 5 boats out on the Louisville Area Canoe and Kayak site right now, but they have 900 members so are much more likely to have them than our 36 member group. I've bought them on both Craigslist, and eBay before. The first boat I bought was seen by a friend of mine - leaning up against a tree at a garage sale - let people (us for instance) know what you are looking for - be as specific as possible - there are a lot of different kinds of kayaks out there in a wide price range. Some of the outfitters have boats to demo, rent, some demos for sale, and sometimes take boats in on trades or on consignment...Canoe Kentucky, River City Canoe and Kayak for example.

Eventually, you might want to set up a separate forum on this meetup site for Gear Sale/Trade/Wants. Makes it easier to find once there are a lot of discussion topics. We don't have that issue at the moment.

As for borrowing, there are some people that hold onto old boats - I don't, I tend to sell the ones I'm not using - you usually have to ask or make arrangements to borrow them on a specific meetup they are attending.
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 66
There is a Prijon Beluga on sale on the BWA forum for $450, includes uninstalled rudder, paddle & skirt. Supposed to be one of those hybrid boats, part touring, part whitewater. Looks more like a small, one-hatched touring boat at 14' to me.

http://www.bluegrassw...­
Paul G.
user 78950072
Georgetown, KY
Post #: 1
I have a 14' Pamlico 140 touring kayak still has the stickers on it used very little its a great boat with rear storage and removable chlds seat to boot. asking 425.00 call or text for info and pics. its also on craigslist.
I also have a Dagger centrifuge River/play whitewater kayak i think its a 2000 model decent shape 275. Its also on craiglist
Pat D.
PJDour
Taylorsville, KY
Post #: 15
I have a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145 with rudder that I have decided to put up for sale. Bought about 1 year ago at Quest sale in Louisville. Orange in color, and can send photos on request. Has some scratches on the bottom, but still in great shape. $750.00. Located in Taylorsville, near the lake. Call my cell to discuss 248.417.4011