Bluegrass Canoe and Kayak Group Message Board › Laurel River Lake Paddle

Laurel River Lake Paddle

A former member
Post #: 5
Thanks for letting my wife and I join your group. We are Northeast Ohio paddlers and love exploring new lakes and rivers to paddle. My wife idea of a good paddle is that she has the car packed for the amount of days we are away and it's my planning and researching that makes a good trip.
We are six years new to the sport, but we make it a point to get out and play.

So it brings me to this years' Spring break(she a high school teacher) will bring us to southern Kentucky. I hope that it's far enough south for warm air and cool water. I would prefer to travel a little further south, but she's not wanting a 11 hour drive. Can anyone help me with navigating Laurel River Lake? Is it better to launch in the northwestern or southeastern marinas?
Any if anyone interested to going out April 3 or 4 that's cool.
Renting a cabin in Burnside, Ky for 5 days.
Thanks
Ron
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 76
I don't remember much about Laurel - been years since I've been there, and that was with someone with a power boat (I think he usually used the Marsh Branch Ramp on the north side). We've discussed setting up a weekend trip there in one of the other discussion threads, either primitive camping or at one of the boat-in camp sites (won't open for awhile). Just hasn't been warm enough yet. Michelle got one of the rangers to mark up a map for us. I scanned part of it that had the markings on it - look under the Files menu item under the More menu. For eagles and ospreys and primitive camp sites at least, looks like the southern part of the lake is the more interesting. The northern part of the lake does have a Goose Management area that is closed to motorized boats. I think Dan has been powerboating on the lake a lot in the past - he will probably chime in - seems like he recommended the Laurel Bridge Recreation Area ramp on the far eastern edge of the southern side of the lake where its more river-like.

Meeting up may be a possibility...weather has been pretty bad for flatwater so far - cold and rivers have been too high, but the whitewater has been great locally so I've been doing that 2-3 times a week for the last three weeks instead.
A former member
Post #: 6
Thanks Don for the reply, I found the map and it's a great. I still looking to find a navigational map so that I can measure mileages from marina to marina. Found that there 220 miles of shoreline, but not how far across the lake.
dan b.
user 23933082
Glasgow, KY
Post #: 16
You made a good choice with Laurel Lake. It is one of KY's prettiest lakes, totally surrounded by National Forest therefore no shoreline development. It is one of the smaller of KY's big lakes which is a plus for kayaking IMO. Since you have rented a cabin I am assuming you will be doing day trips. There are numerous ramps giving access to all areas of the lake and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them for day tripping. I doubt you will encounter anyone midweek in early April other than a very few diehard fishermen.

The weather may be your issue. As Don said, the weather is terrible. Flurries and 21 degrees at my house this AM. At this point the meteorologists are not giving much encouragement that the overall pattern will change in the foreseeable future. But who knows, anything can happen in two weeks. Best of luck and welcome to Kentucky!
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 77
I usually just use Google Earth for planning distances. It has a Ruler tool that you set in Path mode and you can pretty much just lay out a series of waypoints and get the total distance. Don't know of any good free online maps.
A former member
Post #: 7
Thanks Daniel and Don for the replies. It's was 14 and 3 inches of snow here this morning. So looking forward to finding warmer weather and hopefully after Easter it arrives.
This Sunday is our Vermilion River race which is it's 45th year.It's a 8 1/2 mile time event and the first kayak/canoe race of the season. forecast is for a high of 40, and the water temp about the same. So I think that I going to miss this years and hope for warmer Kentucky air in two week.