Bluegrass Canoe and Kayak Group Message Board › flat water kayak

flat water kayak

marcia
mhopkins
Lexington, KY
Post #: 1
I don't have a flat water kayak and would like to buy a used one. Any suggestions on what kind to get?
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 79
That's a loaded question. Depends how fast vs. how stable vs how maneuverable vs how heavy vs how much storage vs how much you want to spend, and for used boats, just what's available....there's a reason there are so many. And just depends what kind of trips you want to do, long fast trips, lazy short trips, fishing trips, camping trips. You probably don't even know the answers to most of those questions, so going used is a good idea.

I started with a used Carolina 14.5 and went to a used Chatham 17 within a year. Most usually start smaller. Anyone that sticks with the sport usually goes through a few in the beginning.
A former member
Post #: 23
Its best if you can try them out, at the very least sit in them. Read the reviews on paddling.net. There are several independant kayak dealers such as canoe ky in Frankfort that carry used boats and will let you try them on the water. There is also a big used boat sale at paddlefest in Cincinnati on June 20th, most folks will let you try them there as well.
Its hard to recommend a specific boat without knowing more about what you want to do with it. Speed? Distance? Photography or Fishing? Just floating around for an hour or two?
marcia
mhopkins
Lexington, KY
Post #: 2
Thanks for your comments. I'm really not sure what I want to do with it yet. Maybe a little of everything.
A former member
Post #: 24
A little of everything! Sounds familiar. One class of boat to look at is crossover or transitional rec boats. They are halfway between a rec boat and a touring boat, typically 12 to 14 feet long. They are short enough to handle most creeks, but long enough to paddle longer distances. ( a longer boat is narrower and more efficient to paddle,= longer distances). One type ( the one I paddle) is a Current designs kestral 12ft.
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 80
I, of course, would err on the side of the longest boat you don't feel totally stable in. You'll will get used to it - if you stick with the sport. Extra length + narrower usually is more efficient, but it does take time to get the hang of it. That's something no one can predict but you.
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 81
One other thing to think about when buying a boat is the accessories you need right away; a paddle, and its best if it fits your height, boat width, and paddling style - there are calculators online that give you an idea of where to start there if you plan to paddle any distance. You need a pfd, just about any Type III will do, but paddling specific ones don't impede your arm movements and are more comfortable. Then you need a way to transport your boat. I've seen all kinds of contraptions there. Thule, Yakima and some other rack systems are usually pretty good, but pricey unless you've already got the racks themselves built-in on your vehicle. Just a warning about those inexpensive foam blocks and straps that sit right on top of the car roof - I've seen someone tighten down the straps so hard they they dented the roof. I personally wouldn't trust them for highway use or long distances.

A quick word about paddling footwear. Seen all kinds, but for safety, you really don't want anything with laces or straps (except velcro) that could get caught on kayak footpegs and impede your exit if you do accidentally capsize.
marcia
mhopkins
Lexington, KY
Post #: 3
Thanks for your input. I have a Jackson Hero Kayak, a paddle, and PDF. So I have some gear, but I injured my hip (doing yoga) and cannot do any roll type movement. I've decided to sell the Jackson and I'm thinking about a Liquid Logic Coupe because of it's versatility. Have you seen these?
I've also looked into roof racks and they sure are pricey. I have an older Volvo v70 station wagon w/o a roof rack. I though I'd look into getting a permanent roof rack installed and then buy they accessories.
A former member
Post #: 25
I was able to buy a used roof rack at a local salvage yard and bought used kayak clamps on ebay. Total cost was much less than $100, so there are less pricy options out there.
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 83
No, never tried a SOT. Not my thing. I like to be able to roll my flatwater kayak and I like storage and speed. Whitewater paddles are OK, but flatwater paddles are usually longer with smaller blade areas.

I got my Thule Slipstream on eBay for almost half price, and it had only been used once. The minivan I use came with the racks. Used is the way to go if you have the time and patience.

I see that you are in the BWA. When you sell your Hero, get a forum id and at least list it there as well as anywhere else you are listing it.