Bluegrass Canoe and Kayak Group Message Board › Roll Sessions

Roll Sessions

Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 93
If you are interested in learning how to roll, the BWA's summer roll sessions are scheduled. They are on either Tuesday or Thursday, 8-10 at the Tates Creek pool. http://www.bluegrassw...­. Click on the calendar. I can't say how long it would take any one person to roll. Its highly variable. I've seen kids learn it in one session, and I've seen others that never really get it. Took me 3 before I was comfortable doing it solo, and one of them there were no instructors that day. I'd advise contacting the pool session coordinator to try to borrow a whitewater boat to learn in (rollsessions@bluegrasswildwater.org) instead of using a flatwater boat. Technique is the same. I'd recommend joining the club ($20) and then each session is only $5. As you may expect for that, you won't have a dedicated instructor with you throughout the whole session, and they aren't ACA certified, but they can teach you how to roll. I think the first session may actually be free too.

If you want to check it out, just show up and observe. Won't cost you a thing.