addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bluegrass Canoe and Kayak Group Message Board › Red River Information needed

Red River Information needed

Aurora R.
user 109067522
Lexington, KY
Post #: 1
Hello,
I have a friend visiting from WV who wants to kayak the Red River in October. We have kayaks and need any and all info on where to put in and take out and a part of the river with flat or with some current but no white water. Also what conditions (water levels) are likely to be found in October. We don't want to carry kayaks too much if low water causes lots of walking. I am not familiar with the Red River so any info would be great.
Thanks,
Aurora
Don P.
user 13711758
Group Organizer
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 111
Assuming you want to do that section in the RRG, you put in at the 'concrete bridge' on KY 715 below Sky Bridge, and take out at the 'steel bridge' on KY 77. River runs close to the road the whole way. Book says you need a minimum of 180cfs. Probably want more than that. Its 114cfs right now. There are a couple of outfitters around there you could confirm that with. I've never done it. I've done the whitewater section above there once. River and one-way shuttle distance is about 8 miles.
Aurora R.
user 109067522
Lexington, KY
Post #: 2
Thanks. This confirmed some useful info I found online. I am learning a lot about finding out info on KY steams even about water flow available online from the USGS. I am not much into walking a kayak down a steam. I suspected the fall is not a good time to float.
Aurora