Bluegrass Canoe and Kayak Group Message Board › June 2013 Paddle at Grayson lake

June 2013 Paddle at Grayson lake

Randy G.
user 118622112
Burlington, KY
Post #: 1
I'm new to the boards here and have been admiring your photos of past outings. I hope to join in this next year. I was looking at your June trip down at Grayson and was wondering where most of the pictures of the high cliffs, water falls and tight passages were taken ? Were you off on feeder creeks or the head waters ? It looks absolutely beautiful I would love to paddle that area.
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 114
Just about anyplace there is good. At least 4 good day trips of 10-12 miles that I'd rank as the number#1-4 best flatwater trips in Ky. The creeks with the no wake zones or headwaters are good just about anytime. - 1) Clifty Creek 2) the headwaters - Little Sandy to Middle Fork of the Little Sandy to Newcombe Creek.

Some areas of the main lake are really good too if you can avoid the powerboat traffic - had a lot of luck during the week, mostly while school is still in. 3) Bruin (State Park) ramp to Little and Big Gimlet 4) Caney Creek ramp out to the main lake and the Twin Bay area.

Waterfalls are seasonal depending on amount of precip - had good luck with them most of this year since we had so much rain - the June trip was actually the driest we had I believe - we had several off-meetup trips there during the week this year in addition to the April and June meetup trips - in July, August, October, and November.

On that specific June weekend, we did Newfoundland Ramp to Caney Creek Ramp & back on Friday, Clifty Creek on Saturday, and the Little Sandy/Newcombe Creek on Sunday.

Some of the other paddling meetup groups go there several times a year - the Tri-Staters, Indianapolis (IYAKers)

Just counting down the days to mid-April when the raise the lake back to summer pool.