Bluegrass Canoe and Kayak Group Message Board › Important Kentucky River ramp information

Important Kentucky River ramp information

Don P.
user 13711758
Group Organizer
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 141
As you might have seen in last week's 18-mile trip, the two ramps on the South bank at Camp Nelson are not being maintained anymore. There was at least a 3 foot layer of mud on both ramps last week making them unusable. The ramp on the North side looked pretty clean, but this was a private ramp the last I heard.

Now Tina says the ramp at High Bridge is going to start charging a $10 launch fee per boat, no matter the type, on July 1. Shaker Landing is still an alternative, though you are supposed to sign a waiver to use it - at least the last time I was over there. The road down to the landing can be locked, but you used to be able to get a key when you signed the waiver. Canoe Kentucky had some outings starting from there the last week or so, so I assume the ramp has been cleaned.

I've heard the ramp over near the Brooklyn Bridge on US 68 has been impacted due to the construction in the area.

If anyone has any updates, please post.
dan b.
user 23933082
Glasgow, KY
Post #: 31
Don, I checked the Fish & Wildlife website and it lists this ramp as being leased by the Dept. of Fish & Wildlife for public use. Maybe their lease is expiring July 1. What a shame. We have also apparently lost the much used Rio access on the Green River. Something needs to be done about river access but I don't know what.
Don P.
user 13711758
Group Organizer
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 142
I thought the money they were using for the VPA program ran out last year, so I'm surprised they didn't start going back private sooner. I know our whitewater club pays a yearly fee for all members to access the put-in on the Elkhorn. I think normally its something like $4. Its worth it since we use it so much. Maybe we can do something like that for High Bridge through the Meetup group. Rio just shut down completely it sounds like - seems like that's what the Camp Nelson ramps have done even though they weren't ever VPA.
Don P.
user 13711758
Group Organizer
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 143
The word is that the canoe and kayak launch fee for the High Bridge ramp is now $4.