addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Boardgame Design Message Board › Confidence

Allen L.
user 14504884
Kennesaw, GA
Post #: 4
Jason, I had an idea about the scoring in your game. It's pretty close to what (I think) we ended on, but perhaps 1 step simpler. What if every card had just 1 point value and your score was the sum of the point values in the flop times the sum of the point values in your player cards.
Kevin L.
user 10085007
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 1
Or how about this:

Scoring is the sum of point values for each letter times the number of cards used (in the flop and in your hand). Similar to above, although I'd expect the scores to be somewhat lower. You still have a clear reward for adding letters to the flop, and for using both letters in your hand.

Actually, for all I know these were the rules we ended on. So many things were said that it's hard to keep them straight. "Too many cooks" and all that.
Jason S.
Marietta, GA
Post #: 3
I think both approaches are interesting, though the second is more appealing to me. My only concern with the first is that a player could be very smart and very lucky and be able to play two higher-scoring letters in a turn and open up a huge lead while a player of any intellectual capacity could have two lower-scoring letters and push their luck to the end for a lower score. This problem could be remedied in part by scaling down the number of points on the player cards, but the risk of the game being decided by the way the cards come out in the individual player decks remains high. The second eliminates the entire "multiplier" issue (both in terms of the luck of the draw and the actual complexity of adding up numbers on the Payoff Cards) and indeed provides the incentive for a player to push their luck and to play both of their cards.