addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Singapore Boardgames Meetup Message Board The Inn › Where to buy cheap card protectors/sleeves? (Dominion)

Where to buy cheap card protectors/sleeves? (Dominion)

justln
dexter1984
Singapore, SG
Post #: 8
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find some cheap card sleeves to protect my Dominion cards.

Bought 1 Ultrapro soft sleeves and 1 Mayfair Eurocard sleeves to try out the size, found out that the Ultrapro's width are way too big while the Eurocard ones are just nice.

Problem is, I can only find 100 Eurocard sleeves for $5 at boardgamelifestyle. If I were to sleeve all 500, it would cost me $25 confused

Anyone got lobangs for it? biggrin
A former member
Post #: 55
I see your concern, that the sleeves will end up to be kinda costly.

This is the "hidden cost" of card games - the sleeves.

Anyway I think the $5 price from BGL is already very reasonable. Mayday Games, the manufacturer, tends to overprice their stuff a bit.
Clement
Princemousey
Singapore, SG
Post #: 149
Hey justin,

How much were you expecting to pay for sleeves?
Colin L.
paladinw
Singapore, SG
Post #: 404
Daiso sells 50 clear somewhat hard sleeves for $2; not recommended as the card surface tends to be 'sticky'

On the other hand you can also get cheap $2 100 x soft plastic sleeves at either PI or Settlers.

MY experience has always been that it is still better to laminate your cards.

Cheers!
justln
dexter1984
Singapore, SG
Post #: 9
Thanks for all the replies. laughing

I'm not laminating my cards because

- it damages the card
- it's irreversible
- resale value will be low
- there's 500 cards to laminate shock

My friend told me there's some cheap card protectors at $2 for 100 at a shop call SKP so I'm going to take a look. Heard that they have a large variety of card protector sizes.

UltraPro card protectors are way too big, else I would have used them.

Cheers.
Oogami
Oogami
Singapore, SG
Post #: 141
Laminating a card game that requires as much shuffling as Dominion is well... not feasible, and imho, not desirable.

Anyway, just another point for your consideration:

Cheap plastic sleeves tend to stick together and is less durable.
So, while you might save 50% on your sleeves, there will be hidden future replacement cost.
boing
user 8045436
Singapore, SG
Post #: 96
Yeah I agree with that. Soft sleeves will get very crumpled after about 20-30 plays if you are playing a game like Dominion where games move very fast and cards are handled roughly. Hard sleeves cost more ($8 per 100) but are a better long-term investment if you plan to hold on to the game.

In any case, it is not quite true that laminating cards will reduce the resale value of the game. As far as my knowledge goes, 2nd-hand games with laminated cards go for a higher price on this Meetup group. I myself would pay more for laminated cards.
Terence L.
user 7849533
Singapore, SG
Post #: 68
The laminating thing with respect to value only applies here. I'd never pay more for a laminated game. If anything it's not even worth half the original value.
Grace
user 7966767
Singapore, SG
Post #: 49
Laminates get scratched over time and the process is irreversible.

So over time, your deck will start looking very "unflattering" (=

I definitely wouldn't pay more to get my game looking crappy in the future.
justln
dexter1984
Singapore, SG
Post #: 10
I'm going SKP on Monday to find me some cheap card protectors, my friend told me they have a wide variety of sizes.

Will post pictures if I manage to get any, especially for really small cards like Wings of Aces. biggrin