addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Boston Asian Professionals Meetup Group Message Board › Can you recommend a "kosher" (non-pork) dim sum places?

Can you recommend a "kosher" (non-pork) dim sum places?

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm still learning the Boston area and have people visiting who like dim sum, but are used to places that also offer non-pork versions of dishes. Examples: chicken sui mai; chicken steamed buns, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks!
t
Meet_Mylo
Boston, MA
Post #: 8
I'm still learning the Boston area and have people visiting who like dim sum, but are used to places that also offer non-pork versions of dishes. Examples: chicken sui mai; chicken steamed buns, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I don't believe there is any Chinese restaurant in the greater Boston area that serves kosher dim sum. Traditional dim sum tend to always include pork and some shellfish (e.g., besides shrimp there's also the ubiquitously and commonly used oyster sauce), as part of its standard ingredients. 'Chicken shui mai' is just not the same in terms of taste, consistency and texture to most Asian foodie purists so there's not as much demand/clientele for kosher. Tripe, jellyfish and cuttlefish are also fairly common dim sum delicacies that are non-Kosher, and there are no substitutes. However, most of the larger dim sum restaurants should have enough of a variety such that there are some suitable dishes for your Jewish guests albeit very limited. There are a few Chinese restaurants that advertised themselves as being kosher, in the NYC, SF and LA vicinities but not here in Boston that I'm aware of. Even amongst those particular restaurants, they tend to specialize in Asian vegetarian cuisines rather than dim sum variations. Since you're from Austin--one of my favorite destinations BTW, I can't imagine there are many kosher dim sum places there either... :) Maybe, your guests might have a better dining experience at one of the many fine vegan places in this area?
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks! This helps me plan!

The issue wasn't so much finding truly "kosher" stuff as it is finding non-pork stuff (shrimp is ok). My guests aren't Jewish; just picky! Austin dim sum tended to branch out into non-traditional dim sum items in order to snag more gringos. :)
t
Meet_Mylo
Boston, MA
Post #: 9

The issue wasn't so much finding truly "kosher" stuff as it is finding non-pork stuff (shrimp is ok). My guests aren't Jewish; just picky! ...

An aversion to pork should be much easier to accommodate than a kosher adherence. Most any good dim sum place would suffice then--just have to be 'picky' when ordering dishes. ;) Boston is a wonderfully diverse culinary mecca such that there should be something which would satisfy the pickiest of palates. Besides dim sum, there are plenty of fine steakhouses, seafood and ethnic restaurants of all persuasions to provide an abundance of dining choices and experiences sans pork. Just scanning through some of the dining venues from the past Meetups here would probably offer some possible ideas. Have fun rediscovering and reconnecting with Boston! :)