We have now completed Core Austrian Theory and will be focusing on Ethical Foundations. To celebrate, we will start this meetup at the Bamboo Thai Restaurant and after finishing the study questions and discussions we will head over to Cityside Bar (1960 Beacon St Brighton, MA) for drinks and Robert Murphy-inspired karaoke!
"On Libertarian Political Philosophy"
Block from "A Seminar With Walter Block" (2004)
"Property and Exchange"
Rothbard, For a New Liberty, chapter 2
1. What is the nonaggression axiom?
2. How does the axiom imply "civil liberties"?
3. What constitutes a crime to the libertarian?
4. Are libertarians left- or right-wingers?
5. Can a libertarian support taxation?
6. What are the three different approaches to libertarian ethics?
7. Describe Rothbard's objections to the utilitarian approach.
8. What is natural law theory?
9. What is the right to self-ownership, and how does Rothbard justify it?
10. What is the homestead principle of ownership?
11. Don't the needs of society sometimes outweigh the rights of individuals?
12. How does Rothbard explain the foundations of exchange and contract?
13. Don't we need to balance property rights against human rights?