align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Boston's Decentralized Autonomous Organization Development Message Board › What should we read first?

What should we read first?

Sean
user 8162770
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 2
At the first meetup it was decided that we will propose papers to read, pick some, and then discuss them at the next meetup. If anyone is willing to give a tutorial (which can be very informal) on some topic, that would also be appreciated.

If you have a paper you want to read, please suggest it. If you are willing to give a tutorial on some topic, please mention that. If you like any of the previous paper suggestions or tutorial offers, please say which ones.

I'll go first:

Papers

- Aviad mentioned an interest in automated "preposition checking", for which this looks relevant:
The Ups and Downs of Preposition Error Detection in ESL Writing (Tetreault and Chodorow) link.

- Modeling Bottom-Up Learning from Activity in Soar (Georgeon et al.) link
I haven't read the paper, but in the abstract it says it's based on constructivist learning (which is related to Piaget, which came up at the first meetup).

A couple papers on the spatial semantic hierarchy, a method for representing the spatial environment of a robot:
- The Spatial Semantic Hierarchy (Kuipers) link
- Exploiting Local Perceptual Models for Topological Map-Building (Beeson et al.) link

Tutorials

- I could give an overview of Markov decision processes and reinforcement learning.

- I could talk about Gary Drescher's original work trying to implement some of Piaget's ideas. This is outlined in a book (Made-Up Minds), but I don't know of any shorter papers covering it.