|Sent on:||Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:53 AM|
I've had many people have asked me the same questions and suggestions, so I figured I'd address them all here.
1. GenX is primarily for those born between 1964-1979, although I have seen it stretched as far as 1961-1981.
2. The brunches have not gone too well - last minute cancels/no shows - so I have cancelled the brunches until further notice. If someone else wants to take the helm on these, you are most welcome.
3. The issue of no photos or using symbols, landscapes, cartoons, animals, avatars, etc. as your main photo is of concern. First, just for the ease of recognizing people attending the meetup events. The other is for safety reasons - not being able to put a face to a name, especially when it involves day trips, getting in cars, etc. Many groups reguire photos, and I would like to do the same, and kindly ask all members to post a real (preferably current) photo as your main photo, and have them uploaded within 30 days. If you like to hide, then perhaps this is not the group for you.
4. The basis of this group is to do events located in Boston proper, to take advantage of what the city has to offer and not necessarily the surrounding towns. While we appreciate your suggestions to do things in Cambridge, Somerville, Watertown, Brookline, etc., we really want to stick to the original intent. I am not opposed to having a few day trips leaving Boston (like the P-town trip, perhaps hiking, Newport mansions, what have you) as I realize sometimes it's a good thing to get out of the city - especially in the summer!
5. Please remember this is not a dating site. We've gotten some comments that some people feel uncomfortable. If you are looking strictly for dates, we suggest you join a singles group. If not, please respect other member's space/privacy if they are not receptive.
6. We now have 2 organizers and 2 event hosts working on various meetups. There's always room for more event hosts. If you have an idea and want to lead it, just contact me - if it sounds like an event our group may enjoy, then I can turn over event host tools to you. Regardless of hosting, if you have suggestions, please send them along - we'd love to hear them.
7. I know I sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to improve our no-show/last minute cancellation rate. Having 2 kids, I know all too well how things can change quickly and plans have to adapt accordingly. It's those on the waiting list that lose out since they either get the notification that they can go too late, or can't go at all b/c a no-show took their spot. This is a social group to meet others, so please keep in mind that your actions may affect your fellow members.
8. Lastly, I want to thank you all for being such a fun group to organize! The group has doubled in size over the last year, and I truly believe it's because of our quality members. I have met many great people, and am making wonderful new friendships as a result. I look forward to meeting more of you and doing more fun things in the city!
P.S -- Sorry this is so long!!