Boston HTML5 Game Development Message Board › Adobe Edge initial thoughts

Adobe Edge initial thoughts

Caleb
part12studios
Quincy, MA
Post #: 27
I was testing it out... the preview version and I have to say this seems very cool.

http://part12studios....­ just something i threw together to see what kind of files it outputs and how animations performed.

I think this product is going to resonate with anyone who's used flash before or would like some kind of graphic UI for arranging visual assets. Like making a game for flash, often timelines and the other animation tools are really not all that useful for game development, but having the visual IDE can be very helpful when wanting to construct a UI or a stage.

I really like what this could bring about for HTML5 game development allowing artists and other non-js folks to contribute in a much more direct manner than any previous method i'm aware of.

Looks like its a preview that's good for 150 days so that's a nice chunk of time to explore this product and see what can be done with it.

I know that when I consider the prospect of our third iteration of this game being done in HTML5 i find a product like this very exciting. http://apps.facebook....­ having a stage and even simple tools to place items visually can be really helpful.

Thanks
Caleb
A former member
Post #: 3
Looks very cool, haven't had a chance to play around with it yet - nice that it seems to work as a jquery plugin and builds off of jquery easing. Surprised Adobe seems relaxing in it's not-built-here mentality but that definitely bodes well.
Tony B.
user 11928644
Methuen, MA
Post #: 9
Looks very cool, haven't had a chance to play around with it yet - nice that it seems to work as a jquery plugin and builds off of jquery easing. Surprised Adobe seems relaxing in it's not-built-here mentality but that definitely bodes well.

Seems like they are animating divs and not using canvas or svg etc, so not really html5 is it ?
Caleb
part12studios
Quincy, MA
Post #: 28
While this is still pretty advanced stuff for me to analyze, I don't think that the animation features are going to be that useful for games. It would be nice is this isn't the case, but much like flash, timeline animations are typically frowned upon for games because it takes control away from the programmer.

Also this is a preview version that I assume is missing a lot of stuff.. like a console / editor view... one of the things that i found odd was that 1. can't move layers around and 2. can't insert things later in the timeline.. i had to do fade in/outs to hide things, but the objects are still on the canvas.

There must be some missing stuff like this because if they want to make this another $400+ product like all of their other programs, its going to need a lot more. It will be interesting too if they can integrate it with dreamweaver, fireworks, photoshop, etc..

I'm going to mess around with it some more.. maybe i can do a presentation at the next meeting. Would be nice to whip something up on the spot and let the group analyze the output files like the last post stated. I'd love to better understand what i'm seeing in the html and css files.

Thanks!
Caleb
A former member
Post #: 4
@Tony - As it's primarily using CSS3 features + transforms, I'd still put it in the HTML5 boat, canvas or not.