Boston Sketching Group Message Board › If we did small meetups in coffee shops, what area would be best?

If we did small meetups in coffee shops, what area would be best?

Kristin
user 17943922
Group Organizer
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 1
Hey everyone! I'm thinking of scheduling some small coffee shop/cafe drawing sessions and I'm wondering some good times/places/areas people would want to meet up at. For me basically anything on the red line is convenient, so I was thinking of scheduling things at starbucks or 1369 in central square, peets or tealuxe in harvard or diesel, starbucks, or mr. crepe in davis. I also am most available after 6 on weekdays and on all day on weekends, so I'll leave it up to you guys if you want to schedule things outside of those timeframes : )

Does anyone have any other good ideas for places, or a preference towards one area or another? do you want to do it on a weekday evening or are weekends better?

Let me know!
A former member
Maybe a place in the middle of downtown? There are a few Dunkins'/Starbucks near Faneuil Hall and the commons.
A former member
Post #: 8
I would love Jamaica Plain! It's on the orange line...if it was nice out, we could go to pond or arboretum, or one of the coffee shops. What do people like to sketch? I'm interested to know....
A former member
i'm down for anywhere. as long as it's t-accessible. Also, I know I'm probably the odd one out here, but I work weekends. That's why I haven't been able to meet up with any of these group things- ever. I would be so happy if someone else wanted to get together during the week:)
A former member
I like the idea of red line accessability... I can meet on weekdays and weekends but not week nights. Saturday at noontime is good. I am interested in sketching urban environments rather than landscapes and nature. Another good place to meet would be the porter sqaure book store. they have a table in the back and a cafe but it does get crowded on weekends in there. Simons on Mass Ave just outside Porter Square is good too but again weekends might not be good. My favorite Cafes are The Diesel (Davis Sq), and Block 11 in Union Square Somerville.
Jamie
user 17997231
Cambridge, MA
I'm also up for any redline assessable area meets.

Another good possibility is south station. You can kind of hide up in the seating area above the food court, and it makes a great vantage point for secret drawing ;)

A former member
Post #: 2
I'm also up for any redline assessable area meets.

Another good possibility is south station. You can kind of hide up in the seating area above the food court, and it makes a great vantage point for secret drawing ;)

I like this idea...and its on the red line....
danny
user 15408911
Somerville, MA
A good outdoor spot is outside of the AuBonPan at harvard sq. There is a bunch of tables to sit at and there's trees and stuff to hide behind :) There are chess players way too involved in the game so they don't notice you drawing them. Redline is right there and its a pretty lively place with lots of stuff to draw.

I'm actually thinking of going there tomorrow afternoon weather permitting. Ill be there around 1pm or so, if anyone's interested, kinda short notice i guess. Feel free to come by, ill be the one drawing.

Kristin thank you so much for organizing this, really great idea.
Kristin
user 17943922
Group Organizer
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep 'em coming. I went to the new Starbucks in Harvard yesterday and it seemed like it would be a great place to draw people. The second floor is huge and has couches and tables and even a spot for live music. I might set up a few little meets on some upcoming weeknights at some of the suggested places and see how those go. Sorry people who can only do weekdays, as I work days I'm never going to be able to host meet ups at those times, but I encourage you to pick a time that's good for you and post it as a meetup and see if others can go. if nobody can that doesn't mean you can't get some good drawing in (I go sketching alone all the time and enjoy it thoroughly).
Victor M.
user 7725100
Somerville, MA
A couple of suggestions of other places to go:

Diesel at Davis Sq.

Atomic Bean- on Mass ave. - between Centrl Sq. and Harvard.

Starbucks at Davis

Bloc 11 cafe at Union sq. There are a couple of buses that leave from Davis and Harvard that will you take you there. Not too bad of a commute.

I haven't tried this spot for sketching, but the food court in Prudential center looks like a good spot to do some sketching.