align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Boston Scoots Message Board Boston Scoots Discussion Forum › Limited Use Motorcycle - Honda Metropolitan - License Requirements and Restr

Limited Use Motorcycle - Honda Metropolitan - License Requirements and Restrictions

JoeXT225
user 6874870
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 412
I recently had someone ask me about the licensing requiremments for Limited Use
Motorcycles, specifically if a Motorcycle License is necessary or can you use
your regular Class D Drivers's License to ride a Honda Metropolitan Limited Use Motorcycle?

It is my understanding for a Moped/Motorized Bicycle, that a Class D License or
Permit is sufficient, because the operational speed is legally restricted to
25MPH maximum and no specialized motorcycle license was deemed necessary by the
legislature.

The Honda Metropolitan has been classified as a "Limited Use" Motorcycle by the Mass RMV.
http://www.massdot.st...­

For a Limited Use Motorcycle, a Class M License or Class M Permit would be
required because it is considered a sub category of a Motorcycle, and the RMV
requires you must hold the correct Class of License or Permit for the vehicle
you will be operating.

With the creation of the "Limited Use Motorcyle" category, I have also read in
the Massachusetts Motorcycle Manual that if you take your Motorcycle Road Test
(to upgrade your permit to a license) on a "Limited Use Motorcycle," you will be
issued a Class M License with a "J" Restriction, limiting you to riding only
limited use motorcycles. This also applies to road tests taken on three wheeled
"Trikes." You'd be issued a Class M License with a "J" Restriction for "Trikes
Only."

With this in mind, it might be worth your while to try to take a road test on a
regular motorcycle so you won't have any restrictions listed on your Class M
License. If you do not have access to a motorcycle, there are Motorcycle Safety
Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Courses offered that provide the motorcycles used in
training and testing. If you successfully complete these courses, you are
awarded a certificate that serves as successful completion of the road test
portion of the license exam. It might be worth your while to take one of these
courses.

Joe XT225

Kevin
user 4860424
Chestnut Hill, MA
Post #: 1
Thanks for the informative post, Joe. I recently put a limited use plate on my wife's Honda Metro. I assume that eventually the Class J license will be required for LUV's, but the language seems pretty ambiguous right now:

"A limited use vehicle must be registered and an appropriate class learner's permit orlicense is required to operate."

I can't find anything that says you need a Class M or M with J restriction license for limited use vehicles.

That said, the MSF course I took with Streetwise was pretty great (though the classroom stuff moved a little slow), and I'm working on convincing my wife that she should take it.

Kevin
scoothub.tumblr.com
JoeXT225
user 6874870
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 413
Hi Kevin,

I'm glad you found the information I posted useful.

To help eliminate any perceived ambiguities, a "Limited Use Vehicle" is a class of motor vehicle that includes not only smaller "motorcycles" with limited speed capablities, but also 3 and 4 wheeled passenger vehicles that have a limited speed capability. I am not saying you need a "Class M" license for the 4-wheeled passenger style limited use vehicles, just those that fit the Massachusetts definition of "Motorcycle."

Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 90, Section 1 defines a "Motorcycle" as follows:

“Motorcycle”, any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, including any bicycle with a motor or driving wheel attached, except a tractor or a motor vehicle designed for the carrying of golf clubs and not more than four persons, an industrial three-wheel truck, a motor vehicle on which the operator and passenger ride within an enclosed cab, or a motorized bicycle."

This motorcycle definition would seem to include the Honda Metropolitan, despite the manufacturer's description of it as a "Motor Driven Cycle."

There won't be a "Class J" license issued, rather, it will be a "Class M" License with a "J Restriction" indicated on it. This will restrict the operator to only operating "Limited Use Motorcycles" and not allow them full, unrestricted use of full sized motorcycles. The "J" restriction on the "Class M License" can be avoided by taking the motorcycle skills test on a motorcycle that is not classified as "Limited Use Vehicle."

Joe

Thanks for the informative post, Joe. I recently put a limited use plate on my wife's Honda Metro. I assume that eventually the Class J license will be required for LUV's, but the language seems pretty ambiguous right now:

"A limited use vehicle must be registered and an appropriate class learner's permit orlicense is required to operate."

I can't find anything that says you need a Class M or M with J restriction license for limited use vehicles.

That said, the MSF course I took with Streetwise was pretty great (though the classroom stuff moved a little slow), and I'm working on convincing my wife that she should take it.

Kevin
scoothub.tumblr.com

JoeXT225
user 6874870
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 420
In regards to this licensing requirement issue for limited use vehicles, the latest Mass RMV Drivers Manual updated February 2012 describes the requirements fully on page 77:

"A Limited Use Vehicle can have two or more wheels. It can go faster than 30 mph, but not more than 40 mph. A Limited Use Vehicle can be either a Motorcycle or a Passenger Vehicle; it depends on how many wheels it has.
You must have a valid drivers license or learner's permit to drive a limited use vehicle. If the limited use vehicle is a motorcycle, the license or permit must be Class M. If the limited use vehicle is a passenger vehicle, the license or permit must be Class D
."

Here is a link to the complete manual in .pdf format that you can view and download:

http://www.mass.gov/r...­

It looks like they now charge $5.00 for the actual hard copy Driver's Manual so it might be worth downloading the free copy online.

JoeXT225