This month we will have an INTERACTIVE meeting, meaning bring your laptop, Surface or tablet running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, to build a full fledged game using Visual Studio 2012 or 2013 and MonoGame (http://monogame.net).
We continue to build the HoneycombRush game described below. If you missed the last session, don't worry, the project has been uploaded along with a screencast of the session for you to review. Before this session just make sure you go to http://sdrv.ms/12MgRsg and download the latest set of project files.
The Honeycomb Rush game you will build is a single-player game in which the player collects honey from a set of honeycombs while avoiding the bees flying around the screen. If the player collects enough honey and returns it to a honey vat within the level's time limit, the game advances to the next level.
By the end of this tutorial you will have:
• A high-level understanding of the MonoGame application model within the Windows 8 operating system
• Learned how to use resources (images, fonts, et cetera) in your game
• Learned how to add game logic
• Learned about 2D rendering in MonoGame
• Learned how to use touch and gesture input to control your game
• Learned how to write a performance intensive game
• Learned how to call an external web api to save and load information
The following is required to complete this session:
• Windows 8 or 8.1
• Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 and the Windows Phone 8 SDK, which will be used to compile the game assets.
-- or --
• Microsoft Visual C# Express 2012 for Windows 8 and the Windows Phone Developer Tools, which will be used to compile the game assets
• MonoGame : http://monogame.net