|Sent on:||Friday, March 16, 2012 12:17 PM|
Spring is officially 4 days away, but it's already felt like Spring for a while now so if you haven't gotten on your bike, now's the time. I know many of you signed up for this group over the winter and haven't been on a ride with this group before, so I just wanted to say welcome and provide a little info.
First of all, this group is very casual. I started it about 4 years ago as a pretty beginner rider just looking for people to ride with, and now there are almost 450 people in the group (although, a much smaller number of people actually make it out on rides). Nobody in the group is a guide, nobody gets paid, it's pretty much just an open forum to find people to ride with.
Anyone can schedule a ride. Just throw it on the calendar. If you want to host a recurring ride, you can do that, I'll just need to set you up with "coordinator" rights, just email me. So please, schedule some rides! A few guidelines:
Things that are cool to do in this group:
- schedule and host your own rides, and join other people's rides
- show up on time, or dare I say, even early
- wear a helmet to protect your noggin
- bring appropriate gear: spare tubes, pump, water, etc.
- ensure your bike is tuned and working well
- scheduled or impromptu happy hours
- post rides and/or clinics from other groups like BMA or shops
- score the group sponsorships, discounts or freebies
- host rides in Boulder, or farther away anywhere in Colorado
- be respectful of.... the riders in your group and their ability levels, other riders on the trail (climbers have the right of way), hikers, pets, the trails themselves, and your mom.
Things that aren't so cool:
- leaving group members behind (unless they suggest/request that)
- scheduling a ride and calling it easy when it's not (hint: Walker Ranch may be easy for you, but not so much for a beginner/intermediate rider)
- be stinky - we can see you're wearing the same jersey as last ride, and we can smell when you don't wash it
- not showing up for a ride you've scheduled to host, or showing up late
- forget your bike. yep, it's happened.
That's about it. If you have questions, just ask. I hope people enjoy the group, meet new people, find new trails, and just have fun. See you out there on the trails.