This group is for women dealing with divorce who are looking for ways to take care of themselves. Divorce is a time of tumultuous change and upset and with all the conflicting demands, it's easy to push aside your own needs. Yet, taking care of your needs will mean you're better able to take care of the needs of others, including your children.
We'll meet once a week and focus on a different topic each week with different guest speakers. Topics so far have included:
- Visioning Your Life After Divorce - most people will tell you that divorce was the worst experience of their lives. Many of them will also tell you that looking back it was the best option for them and that since then they've grown in ways they never imagined. Being able to see that life goes on after divorce and that you will be happy again is key.
- What Your Body Is Telling You - using some yoga techniques, you'll learn how to listen to what your body is telling you about your divorce and the benefits of listening. You'll learn some simple, easy techniques for dealing with divorce stress including meditation and affirmations.
- Learning From Your Past Relationships - There are two main reasons why you'll want to look at your past relationships. First, understanding why you chose to be with our partner will help you understand and accept the end of your marriage. Second, identifying the common negative characteristics from your previous relationships means there's less likelihood of you choosing the same partner again.
- Forgiveness - This is a tough one. We'll be talking about what is forgiveness, why it's important and how it might help you. The hardest person to forgive is often yourself so we'll be talking about why this is and ways to work through that.
- A New Beginning, A New Style - If you lost yourself during your marriage, chances are you also lost your sense of style. We'll be talking about how to decide what's the style you want now and how to makeover your closet to get that style even with a limited budget.
Other possibilities I'm working on programs on healthy eating, setting boundaries, spirituality and divorce ceremonies. If you have a suggestion for a session let me know and I'll find a speaker and arrange it.
This is not a formal program - you're not obligated to attend every session, just come to the ones that speak to you.
Boundaries - the focus of the sessions is on self-care. That means we won't be griping about ex's or Soon-To-Be-Ex's and we won't competing for the worst legal nightmare.
Who Am I - I'm a Divorce Coach and founder of Since My Divorce, one of the top divorce support blogs in the U.S. I've interviewed over 90 people about their divorce and have shared their stories on my website. It's their collective wisdom that I bring to my coaching. You can follow me on twitter @sincemydivorce and on Facebook.