Boulder Is For Robots Message Board › Strong Robotics Programs in area K-12 Schools

Strong Robotics Programs in area K-12 Schools

John P.
user 35228322
Boulder, CO
Post #: 7
What's going on in Berthoud?

According to a report in the Loveland newspaper four teams from Berthoud have qualified for the VEX Robotics World Championship Competition in Anaheim, CA.

For those who think Berthoud is located on the way to Winter Park, it's a small town about midway between Longmont and Loveland. There must be something special going on there for their high school to do so well in the statewide competition.
Kim W.
user 34411852
Loveland, CO
Post #: 3
It has to do with great students and Thompson Valley School Districts strong robotics program, which includes spans Loveland and Berthoud, and the dedication and passion of Liz Rayment.
Liz is the "robotics coordinator for the Thompson School District". She is responsible for the non-profit www.action-works.org , which you must check out.

One of the cool things they are raising money for is a maker space in downtown Loveland for both students and adults. Right now some of the VEX robotics teams are using a temporary space as a maker space on historic 4th street thanks to the philanthropy of the building owner. The City of Loveland encourages owners of unleased spaces in downtown Loveland to be pop-up art and creative spaces.

Best of luck to the VEX teams, that is awesome, and thanks for the post.

What's going on in Berthoud?

According to a report in the Loveland newspaper four teams from Berthoud have qualified for the VEX Robotics World Championship Competition in Anaheim, CA.

For those who think Berthoud is located on the way to Winter Park, it's a small town about midway between Longmont and Loveland. There must be something special going on there for their high school to do so well in the statewide competition.

Chuck H.
user 26645002
Boulder, CO
Post #: 9
Our productization services company, Zebulon Solutions, is actually based in Berthoud. Great town, friendly folks, evidently smart kids, and a great location for us equidistant between the Fort Collins and Boulder technology clusters.
Kim W.
user 34411852
Loveland, CO
Post #: 4
Yes, Berthoud is definitely a nice town.

I just got a call from Angie Hammel, who is involved with team Palladium from Berthoud, one of 5 Berthoud teams qualifying for worlds.
They also earned the "State Tournament Champion and Programming SKills" award, and are ranking 20th in the world for programming. Great accomplishment.

Now they need to raise money really quickly to pay the entrance fees for Nationals and Worlds, and need some more sponsors. I promised that I would pass on this information. They are looking even just for $100 donations from a dozen sponsors to help. You may contact Angie at angiehammel at hotmail.com. (Or send me a note).

... I think inviting their team to do a presentation with their robot at the next Boulder is for Robots would be extremely cool.

- Kim

Our productization services company, Zebulon Solutions, is actually based in Berthoud. Great town, friendly folks, evidently smart kids, and a great location for us equidistant between the Fort Collins and Boulder technology clusters.

Chuck H.
user 26645002
Boulder, CO
Post #: 10
Zebulon Solutions is in. I just contacted Angie and offered to send a modest sponsorship check. Who else is is with us? Twentieth in the world is extraordinary!

And having them demo their robot at the next meet up is a fantastic idea.

Chuck