Bozeman Climate Alliance Message Board › BCA Sunday Update: Coal, Coal, Speakers' Bureau, and Al Gore

BCA Sunday Update: Coal, Coal, Speakers' Bureau, and Al Gore

A former member
Dear Bozeman Climate Alliance,

Welcome to the BCA Sunday update.

There are two meetings this week, both about our and others' efforts to oppose Montana coal export. You may be aware of them already because we've posted about both before. In case you missed them because you were climbing mountains and walking your 14 dogs (this is what Bozemanites do, right?), here are descriptions of each:

1. The Monthly Bozeman Climate Alliance Meeting. Tuesday, June 26, 7:00, Bozeman Public Library in the big meeting room - This is an action organization meeting held in collaboration with Reclaim Democracy and a citizen's action group in Bozeman which has formed for the purpose of opposing coal export. It's likely to be well-attended and if prior meetings are an indication, it'll be energetic and thoughtful. The meeting will feature a speaker from the Montana Environmental Information Center (Derf Johnson), to discuss about strategies for opposing coal export, along with working groups wherein we'll hammer out strategy and get new attendees caught up.

2. Coal Export Action presentation, Wednesday, June 27, 6:30pm, Bozman Yoga Center. The Coal Export Action is a sit-in at the state capitol scheduled for late August. The organizers of the action will present at this meeting, and will describe the rationale for the action and what they hope to accomplish with it.

In other news, we'll soon schedule the first organizational meeting for the formation of a local climate speaker's bureau, so watch out for it.

Finally, a personal note which relates to the aforementioned speakers' bureau:

Al Gore has a speakers' bureau, called the Climate Leadership Corps, run through a nonprofit called the Climate Reality Project, to which yours truly applied and was accepted. I go for training in August, and I hope to return best practices to use here in Bozeman. I'll give a presentation (naturally) about what I learn there to the BCA on my return. Stay tuned.

Enjoy summiting with your 14 dogs,