March 19th BVWG Meeting:
Panel Discussion on Independent Publishing
So, you’re thinking about independently publishing your book, eh? The timing may be right. What will you use — CreateSpace? Smashwords? Are you going to publish as an independent author — or does it make sense to publish as an independent press? And what’s the difference?
So many questions! That’s why the Brandywine Valley Writers Group is hosting a panel discussion on independent publishing for its March Meeting. Come on out to the Boat Room at Doc Magrogan's Oyster House in West Chester (and more on that change in venue in a moment) and hear different perspectives on independent publishing from…
- Jorgen Flood, author of Twilight of the North, Armageddon Coming, and other works, who will talk about using Smashwords to publish as an independent author.
- Jim Breslin, author of Elephant and owner of the independent Oermead Press, which published Elephant as well as the Chester County Fiction anthology.
- Scott Pruden, author of Immaculate Deception and co-founder of Codorus Press, which has published Immaculate Deception, Acid Indigestion Eyes (Wayne Lockwood), and Don’t Be Cruel (Mike Argento).
Bring questions to ask and paper to take notes on! This will be a great, informative evening that will provide a lot of information on this rapidly changing world.
One-time Location Change!
Since Ryan’s Pub is an Irish pub and since St. Patrick’s day is well worth an extended celebration, our usual room at Ryan’s is unavailable on Tuesday night. So, for March we’re holding our meeting in the Boat Room at Doc Magrogan's Oyster House, which is just a few blocks east of Ryan’s on Gay Street. You can click the link above to see the location of Doc Magrogan’s on Google Maps.
For those of you not clicking through the link, Doc Magrogan’s is located at 117 East Gay St. in West Chester, which is just east of the Post Office building at Gay and Matlack Streets. Parking on the streets is metered till 10, but just around the corner at Matlack and Chestnut is a public parking garage.
Although meetings officially start at 7:00 pm, many of us show up early to have a meal and catch up with each other. You can also order food and drink (on your own tab) throughout the meeting. The program generally lasts approximately 75 minutes. However, people stay as long as they like after the official program and we sometimes close the place.
Officers of the group are currently:
- Mark Mitchell - President
- James Breslin - Vice President
- Jurgen Flood - Treasurer
- Wayne A. "Tony" Conaway - Publicity
- Ginny Beards - Secretary
- Dick Lolla - Web Site Administrator
Please check the event schedule for information on the programs and for additional meeting content and locations. You can find additional information on our Facebook page and on our web site: www.bvwg.org.