Sacramento Brights Action Meetup Group Message Board › new group vs old groups

new group vs old groups

A former member
Post #: 25
I'm not at all opposed to a new bright/atheist/freethinker/etc... group forming n the area (the more the merrier) but I'd like to hear some thoughts about what this group could bring to the community which has not already been, nor could be, brought by existing organizations.

Mynga
Mynga
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1
I'm not at all opposed to a new bright/atheist/freethinker/etc... group forming n the area (the more the merrier) but I'd like to hear some thoughts about what this group could bring to the community which has not already been, nor could be, brought by existing organizations.

This is exactly the question I have, too. We don't want to duplicate what other groups do. We need to make a departure. I'll bring some of my ideas to the kickoff to perhaps help us "think differently." I welcome others' ideas, too. Of course, I'd also like to meet other folks, enjoy the get-togethers and perhaps make new friends.

My own notions are lined up with the Brights movement - www.the-brights.net - which invites those who have a naturalistic worldview to get involved in certain ways toward certain ends (and in something other than the usual religion/nonreligion situations).

I suspect it may take a few meetings for a picture to take shape as to what we'd be enthused to do outside of the ordinary, but I do wonder if we can lay out a fresh framework for "proactivity" here in Sacramento. If we can't reach consensus sufficient to map out some useful actions, we can always choose to close up shop. But I think it's important enough to see IF we can. So, I decided to get some of us together.