Brisbane Atheists Message Board Off Topic Forum › The Phemonology of ducks and other non-human animals

The Phemonology of ducks and other non-human animals

Heraklitus
user 5709480
Newcastle, AU
Post #: 1,254
Send an Email Post a Greeting
As I understand it Phenomonelogy is the study of what is experienced 'on the inside' so to speak.

While we're kinda inclined to agree about lots of stuff about how humans feel about certain things: what about the inner life of ducks? What about that of other critters too like crocodiles, monkeys and even prawns?

To give an example. We have a couple of male deers fighting like buggery where the winner gets to shag the available does. Sure it's about instinct and all that but are they experiencing a desire to, ahem.... bonk the does. Do they feel horney as we may do as when we're 'mightly interested in some human person of the gender that interests us?

And what does a fish experience, emotionally speaking, when it has polished off a large critter that it has gobbled up? Does it feel like us when we have wolfed down a delicious pizza? Say, contented. Time for a cigarette.

I only pose questions like this because the inner experience of non-human lifeforms is seldom if ever talked about.

And why shoud this be so I hear you all ask in your relentless search for truth and enlightenment? It seems to me that it may be a bit confronting to extend the capacity to feel stuff that we can relate to to things that we wish to eat and otherwise exploit. Monkeys and apes are fine. But who would wanna shag or eat one of them.. and there's their eyes and ears and hands... So much like us. And their kinda hairy also.

But where do you stop when empathy is concerned for critter-feeling? Apes? Monkeys? Dogs? Cats? Wombats? Rabbits? Mice and rats? And so on down the line.

I'm no vego and I'll polish of cow and lamb and pig and chook meat. But.. It reminds me ot Ted Hugh's 'Crow' poetery all the same.

Given that, if what I observe is correct, why do you lot think that the inner-life of 'lower' life-forms is seldom mentioned in the popular media? Are we unconscious speciests? Do they experience desire and other feelings that we do at times? H