Brisbane Atheists Message Board Brisbane Atheists Meetup Group (BAMG) Discussion Forum › God is nothing more than a character in a book!

God is nothing more than a character in a book!

Dani F.
user 49383722
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 89
God is just a character in a book! A fictional book for that matter!
Please discuss!
AlexS
user 6983727
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 1,155
God is just a character in a book! A fictional book for that matter!
Please discuss!
Can you know that a fictional thing is not real? What methodology do you use to distinguish fiction from reality?

To my mind, there are two approaches (among many):

Firstly, stating that the writers "made it up", but this cannot be a conclusive approach because in a universe of broad possibilities, even a fictional statement may be true (even if not known by the author). For instance, Jules Verne could not have know the science behind rockets, but he wrote about their existence. So this method cannot yield an absolute knowledge. Furthermore, we can't be sure what a person 2000 years ago (or whenever) saw or knew. Such an approach is not intellectually stimulating.

The second method is to show that the fictional statement or thing which is proposed cannot exist for some reason. While this allows for an absolute knowledge (in the way that we know square triangles cannot exist), it all turns on what one considers to be "God" for your particular enquiry.

So, Dani, what do you think "God" is? Just that described in the "Book" or is there some other definition that we should consider?

Any discussion which has intellectual vigor must have some framework in order to be logical. So let's see what you have?
Marcus
freakvent
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 41
Which god are we talking about? I've seen it mentioned a few times in different forums that there are about 3,000 documented gods :)
My guess would be that some of them don't even appear in a book.
Dani F.
user 49383722
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 90
I just saw a video entitled "Zeitgeist." It came out in 2007 but is still incredibly current. It revolves around religion and Christian/Judaism in particular, as well as modern conspiracy "theories" involving the rich warlords who govern the world. I highly recommend that you see this video and get everyone you know to watch it then sit down, and have a discussion about it and what it means to you!
Scott B.
user 63569022
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 7
^Zeitgeist is mostly trash IMO

Here's good website that exposes its flaws:
http://conspiracies.s...­
Paul
user 10982382
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 36
^Zeitgeist is mostly trash IMO

Here's good website that exposes its flaws:
http://conspiracies.s...­
I had a look at the above link - it doesn't criticize the Zeitgeist movement, it is just some dude with a website that has a personal axe to grind against Peter Joseph.
Have you ever seen the movie/s?
What are the flaws your opinion?
Dani F.
user 49383722
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 91
Dont be fooled by the other posts that want to diverge you from the path of truth..
Look up Zeitgeist on YouTube and look up Jesus conspiracy on YouTube yourself!

You wont regret it!
Scott B.
user 63569022
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 8
Dont be fooled by the other posts that want to diverge you from the path of truth..
Look up Zeitgeist on YouTube and look up Jesus conspiracy on YouTube yourself!

You wont regret it!
Who is trying to "diverge people from the path of truth"??
Dani F.
user 49383722
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 92
" it is just some dude with a website that has a personal axe to grind against Peter Joseph.
Have you ever seen the movie/s? "

Like I said...YouTube Zeitgeist yourself!
Especially atheists! You wont regret it! I downloaded a Torrent file of the film! Great stuff!
Scott B.
user 63569022
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 9
^Yes, I have watched Zeitgeist. And while it makes some good points, it's still mostly trash.