To celebrate the approaching end of winter, we have a spectacularly wild foraging package to offer you in partnership with Windmill Hill City farm...http://www.windmillhillcityfarm.org.uk/
For one time only we are offering an introductory package consisting of a wild food walk, free wild food taster session and a free foraging DVD...
for just £20 per person!!!
If you have ever wanted to know for sure those common plant species that you are continually wandering over, under, and past, then this fun and informative walk with DVD package should satisfy some of that hunger, and give you the confidence to identify many of our edible and medicinal species that grow almost everywhere!
For a taster of what to expect from your guide, please take a look at my bite size foraging videos on http://www.youtube.com/ipsophyto777
You may already know some of the plants we will undoubtedly come across; in fact I would lay money that you WILL know some of them, and if not by name, by sight. For the trees are companions from cradle to grave.
Winter time is when the deciduous plants, trees, and shrubs, reveal some of the best kept secrets. So it is a perfect time to get to know them! And even better with an experienced and knowledgable plantsman.
The darker months may well reduce the available harvest, but there is so much to learn from an identification walk at this time of year. Robert Loius Stephenson wrote... "Judge not each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow!"
So join your experienced guide Christopher Hope BSc Med Hort, who has more than 15 years experience in finding and using wild plants for food and medicine; and prepare for an enchanted winter's stroll.
On the day:
- We meet in the Farm yard at 11am prompt
- The walk will be a gentle one, indeed we never walk far on any forage walk or identification walk, as we need to slow down and observe our surroundings and all thats in it.
- We will meet around 15-20 species. Every one we engage with will have some characteristics to set it apart from lookalikes. Your guide will take you, step by step, through what to look for and what to compare it with.
- As well as how to identify the plants, we shall be discussing how to harvest, as well as that most crucial piece of information, often overlooked...where to find them!
- The history, folklore and modern uses of each species we come across will be briefly discussed, but identification techniques are the major concentration of the course
- Course handouts will be given, covering some basic botany, with notes on the various species we are likely to encounter.
- Some wild foods from the species we meet will be available to taste.
- The free foraging DVD contains more than 100 plant photographs, hand drawn illustrations, foraging videos, and a raft of information to help you on your foraging quests.
What to bring:
- Protective clothing and footwear.
- Note pad and pen
- Bottle of Water or drink (no shops in the vacinity)
An after-walk email will also be sent to the email address you use with paypal(if applicable) in order to help refresh your memory on the species we meet!
So, come find with me and discover the abundance of edible wild plants on your doorstep on this 2 hour stroll around one of Bristol's best loved parks
Remember there are hundreds of plant species photographs, videos and information on my micro blog at https://www.facebook.com/Ipsophyto as well as all manner of plant related tweeted info on twitter https://www.twitter.com/ipsophyto
Booking is essential for all events. Kids under 12 can come for free with an adult, Under 16's come for £10!
Concessionary spaces are always available, please email me in the first instance.
For complete peace of mind, all my walks are covered by public liability insurance!
Transfers to other walks and courses are possible but need at least 7 days notice. No refunds are available for any walk or course unless stated in the event refund policy. We operate online payments through this site but are happy to have offline payments as well. Please email in the first instance!
I hope to see you there!