add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Bronies of Northern California - BONC Message Board › IDEA: Friendship Express to EverfreeNW 2013!

IDEA: Friendship Express to EverfreeNW 2013!

user 39512192
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3

Question, though...does it stop anywhere near the Monterey area? I know we have bronies over here who'd like to go as well, and if we can just all meet up on the same train and take up a car during the day and just pony out that would be all sorts of awesome!
Austin B.
Turlock, CA
Post #: 7
Add me on Skype to join the discussion!

My username is cybergeek94
Eric Wu ( LyokoTra...
user 13294762
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 16
I'm okay with this!

Besides i've always wanted to ride Amtrak especially The Amtrak Coast Starlight Route.

> Does Model Railroading as a hobby

Adam Smith (.
user 23668891
Waxahachie, TX
Post #: 2
I'm not actually from Northern Cali. In fact, I've never been to California. Shocking and disapointing, I know. I'm actually from North Texas. This, which I found on EQD's roundup, interests me because I plan on going to EFNW13. And since half the fun is in the getting there, I figured that I might gage my own interest into this project. I was wondering if non-cali bronies would be allowed to join this 'private train party'.

My two real concerns however, is that I am aware as to how much trains cost. Sleeper cars are ridiculously priced, and are only worth it if you successfully collaborate with other people, which is why this discussion is totally worth a try. I remember searching for train tickets from Dallas to Chicago, and it would take over 24 hours, cost $150 one way, and extra for access to the meal car, plus $400 if you wanted to purchase a bed car. My other concern is the actual logistics of the trip. As a NT brony, it would be ideal for me to connect my incoming flight to the bay area with the train or find some way to house with someone during a lay-over. Of course, this is all stuff I would have to iron out.

I just wanted to share with you guys my interest and let you know that at least one brony from outside the group is actually interested in this. Like I said, half the fun is getting there.
Austin B.
Turlock, CA
Post #: 8
My two real concerns however, is that I am aware as to how much trains cost.

I'm excited that this still caught your eye. And glad it got on the roundup. You're completely welcome to join us, as is anypony else from anywhere else. As long as we can make it work.

Yeah, the sleepers are pretty expensive. They add about $300 to the cost of an individual ticket for a double. But that's two beds, so the individual cost is half. There's not much of a difference for the quad room—it still adds about $150 for each person.

You do have to realize that every meal for sleeper passengers is complimentary, while coach would have to pay for similar amenities. And this is no cafe-car bagel. We're talking real sit-down dining, with "fresh cuisine served on real china and table linens." On a 26-hour trip, that's three or four meals, and that adds up quick.

But coach is becoming an increasingly attractive option. Rest assured, coach on Amtrak isn't any real compromise. Like I said, coach on a train isn't like coach on a plane. You get a comfortable seat, plenty of legroom, and you still have access to everything—some of which you'll just have to pay for.

So it's really only a matter of how much everyone wants to pay for up front or on the trip. Either way, we all have to decide on which to get, because that's what a group ticket means.

I think what I'll do is set up an intent form on Google Docs, where I can get an idea of how many people are actually interested, and have a way to contact everypony who's interested.

Austin B.
Turlock, CA
Post #: 9
My other concern is the actual logistics of the trip.

Forgot to bring this up in my last reply.

Yeah, flying out to Cali to join us on this would add more complexities than if you were to fly straight to Seattle. But I'm glad that you're willing to go to such lengths to join us and help us out. Much appreciated.

Hell, if it comes down to it, you can stay at my house if you like. It's a bit out of the way, so hopefully we can get you more convenient lodging, but if you need it, I'll put you up for a night or two.
Austin B.
Turlock, CA
Post #: 10
If you're going, even if you're only interested, please fill out this form so I know who's going and how to get a hold of you.­
Hector Vargas J.
Santa Ana, CA
Post #: 71
(you're honestly not going to drive 14 hours straight, right?)

But that's exactly what Michael's, Ohad's, and Nicholas' cars did! We drove for that long or longer!

Aside, a train ride does sound cool, but it's so early, I don't know yet if I'll be able to go to next year's EverfreeNW.

Oh, and the SoCal bronies never talk to us, so I'm told. They're way more unorganized and leaderless than we are.
What?! Well... we can be a bit unorganized but we do our best! Plus, our leaders are planning EQLA. Hope some of our northern bronies can make it to this convention.

Anyway, this train idea is good.
Marshall H.
user 25477292
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1

The train actually goes all the way down to LA, so our SoCal bronies could potentially join us.

That would be so fun to get our SoCal brethren in on this too!!!

Yes! I'm in LA but joined the group specifically to get in on this conversation. Is there a way to have AmTrak extend the group ticket to SoCal, or would it need to be a whole separate setup? (Which I imagine it would, but doesn't hurt to ask.)
A former member
Post #: 1
Another SoCal brony here. I would be delighted to do this! According to Amtrak's website, a round trip ticket from here to Sacramento is a measly $59 without any discounts at all. According to my math, that makes this plan significantly cheaper and less stressful than either flying or driving, even with a sleeper room.

I drove 1,100 miles (20 hours!) to get to the first Everfree, and while I don't regret a second of that experience, the prospect of piling a train car full of bronies and sailing along the Pacific coast and through hundreds of miles of redwood forest without a care in the world en route to the Emerald City... oh sweet Celestia, do want.