addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Brookhurst Gamers Message Board Legends of Skyfire Campaign › Brotherhood of the Blade - Guild Hall

Brotherhood of the Blade - Guild Hall

John
Archfiend
Santa Paula, CA
Post #: 254
This is the place for guild members to discuss tactics, plan expeditions, or simply chat. If you have questions about the campaign, this is also a good place to ask.
A former member
Post #: 1
How are the guild mechanics going to work? Are we going to assume that leaders are NPCs, or will PCs be able to run the guild to some extent?

Some of the ideas that have been floating around my head:

Guild treasury: First and foremost, we should consider a guild 'tax' on all PC groups for quest rewards to fund our treasury. With this, we can purchase or negotiate contracts with other guilds, maybe bribe authorities to look the other way if we need to bend some laws to accomplish some of our tasks, etc.

Dealings with other guilds in the city: Maybe we could exchange a discount on our services for a discount on item purchases? We do 'x' number of quests for one guild in exchange for a 10% discount on their wares, etc.

Guild meetings: Maybe a quick 'guild meeting' at the beginning of each game day to discuss guild business in front of all members, beyond just which quests are available for each week - which guilds we have a favorable relationship/contract with, local news, how to use guild funds, etc.

Again, these are just some ideas to flesh out the idea of a guild (and player) community, rather than 'we meet in a tavern and have a job board.'

Thoughts? Ideas?
John
Archfiend
Santa Paula, CA
Post #: 260
I like all of those!

More specifically:

Guild Officers - It'll be safe to assume, at least initially, that the leadership of the guild will consist of NPCs, though as characters gain power and prestige, and as players prove a determination and desire to lead, I'm sure that advancement opportunities will present themselves ;)

Guild Treasury - not just a 'tax' on PC groups, but a sort of 'insurance' policy as well to revive dead adventurers after missions gone bad... I'm thinking right now that to simplify matters, contract-work will already have the guild's cut factored in, so when you're offered 250 gold pieces for your group, that's what's leftover from the guild's fee. As far as found wealth, maybe just 10%...? Something like that.

Inter-guild relations - this is certainly a possibility. There will be various factions and individuals within the city that you'll be able to interact with and either gain favor or enmity, it makes sense that this would extend toward the guild as well.

Meetings - I'd love to have this sort of roleplaying taking place at the beginning of the day, though I think that some of these things would be best posted online ahead of time.
A former member
Post #: 20
Unless you received something in this past Saturday's game, you should only have on magic item, and it should only be a +1 shield, armor, or weapon, or some other level one item if it has been approved by John.
Ksatria
user 10918335
Garden Grove, CA
Post #: 1
You're confusing the terminology. There is no such thing as a +1 magic shield enchantment in 4e. Heavy shields provide a +2 shield bonus to AC as a property. John basically wanted to give you the shield to work with your character backstory, but that shield should work effectively as +1 magic armor. The +1 magic armor bonus does not have the same bonus type as the shield bonus, so you end up with +3 total when your shield is out.
John
Archfiend
Santa Paula, CA
Post #: 283
What Ksatria said is basically correct. The heavy shield has a +2 shield bonus, and you additionally have a +1 bonus because it's a piece of magical armor (which is a slight stretch of 4E rules, but, see below).

To elaborate, I'm planning to implement a few minor changes to the way that magic equipment works in the near future. Nothing that should change the way you intend to play your character - not significantly anyway. The magic item structure for 4th Edition is pretty good, so it's not going to be an overhaul - just a couple tweaks in order to give players some new options.

When I'm more confident about the mechanics of it, I'll post it up here with enough time for players to consider the change, plan around it, and/or offer feedback before the change goes through.
John
Archfiend
Santa Paula, CA
Post #: 287
Just so that no one gets the wrong impression:

Everyone that participated gained a level after the initial session, but that's not going to be a standard occurrence. Starting with the next session, everyone will be gaining experience normally (even those who missed out on the introductory quest - sorry!)

I've assigned an XP budget for each adventure that should allow groups of five characters to earn enough experience to gain a level after 3 and 1/3 adventures. A few notes:

• groups of four characters will gain experience slightly faster, while groups of six (or more) will gain experience slightly more slowly
  • each week, you'll have the option of choosing from adventures spanning different levels of difficulty - a fourth-level adventure is obviously worth more than a second-level adventure, but the risks scale accordingly
  • groups may not be able to complete an entire adventure - you might have to retreat to the safety of Brookhaven before you clear out the dungeon, or you might simply miss something on your path of destruction

The goal here is not to frustrate anyone with the rate of experience gain, so I can adjust the XP budget if necessary. That said, considering we only play twice a month, I think in this case a level once a month is a bit too quick - every other month might feel too slow - so we'll play with somewhere-in-between and see how it goes.
Ksatria
user 10918335
Garden Grove, CA
Post #: 3
Does the guild have anyone who can cast the transfer enchantment ritual (NPC or PC)? I would be nice to keep our magic item enchantments as we get the feats for superior weapons and implements.
A former member
Post #: 2
I was looking over the guild roster and noticed that over half the guild members are strikers. Not that there's anything wrong with that... but we'll have to plan carefully to make sure teams don't go out without proper support.

If we do any further recruiting it would be great to find a few more healers and defenders.
John
Archfiend
Santa Paula, CA
Post #: 293
Treasures from another world have fallen from the skies!

What secrets do these alien artifacts hold? Power beyond imagining? The secrets of eternal youth? Something dark and terrible beyond imagination?

Purchase a Gamma World box set or booster pack, and bring your receipt on Saturday, October 16, to redeem a special in-game item!