Brooklyn Natural Building Message Board › Welcome / Getting Started

Welcome / Getting Started

Craig D.
CDes
Group Organizer
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 1
I am very pleased to see this group growing after just a few days. Everyone seems eager to learn, and several members have varied and impressive natural building experience. If anyone wants to send me pictures of some examples of their work I will post them to the group album. This way, when we meet each other, everyone already has some idea of what our group is collectively capable of.

Also in regards to the first meetup, if anyone has a hard time making it that day, send me a message or email and I can try to make an additional alternate date so that more people can make it.
carrie e.
user 54082042
Jersey City, NJ
thanks craig...i can make a meetup after december 9th. i am out of town til then. look forward!
carrie
joelle a.
user 3825124
Brooklyn, NY
hey craig. i will be out of town on a job dec 1st. if another meetup happens between dec 6th and dec 12th i would love to join. after dec 12th, i will be out of town again until early january. please keep me posted as the group evolves. i'm definitely looking forward to meeting everyone.
thanks
-joelle
p.s. i have some photos of my work up on flicker.
www.flicker.com/photos/joelleanderson
Eddie
user 41756362
Brooklyn, NY
I'm in a similar boat, I'll be out of town on the 1st and the 8th, but I could attend something on another day. Would it be possible to get a summary of what happened at the meetup for those of us who weren't able to attend?
Craig D.
CDes
Group Organizer
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 2
For those who cant make the first meetup, I will post a writeup on what we cover on the 1st. I'm hoping enough people turn out so that we can create a working outline for our next steps. Sounds like everyone on this thread could meet mid December, maybe on the 15th? I will post it as an alternate meet and greet date, and as a second meetup to expand on some of our ideas from the first.
A former member
Post #: 32
Hi all, I won't be able to make the first meetup. I would like to share two places that have and or teach natural building methods based on permaculture methods. Both are in north Jersey off I-80, exit 12(Hope), near Del Water Gap.
First is Practical Primitive. 10 miles south of Hope off 611 near Great Meadows and Hwy 46 www.practicalprimitive.com A primitive skills school. I was in their first sweat lodge building and operation class. They just built a neolithic? hut out of local stone and timber as well as several others, Check out their website and or facebook page. I've been taking classes with them the past few years. Good people and students and interns from around the world. They have a permaculture inspired garden and outdoor cooking area.
Second is Genesis Farm a few miles north of Hope going toward Newton. www.genesisfarm.org run by the Dominigan Sisters of Caldwell and a certified CSG-community supported garden. They teach Permaculture and Transition classes. They have built and are using permaculture inspired straw bale structures, one house and a chicken coop/tool shed. other buildings of interest/repurposing. Great vistas of the Gap from atop the ridge, heavy on spirit. open for visits, great library and the food served during classes is all from the farm and grown with CooperativeBioBalance, perfected there and other local farms by The Tree Whisperer-Jim Conroy,Pd,D. Thomas Berry"The Great Work"(Ecozoic) was also a big influence there.
Both places feel really good. Hope you get the chance to experience them someday.