Vegetarian Summerfest is the Annual Conference of the North American Vegetarian Society. I had a great time last year and am looking forward to going back!
The conference is set for July 2 - 6 at the Conference Center at Pitt-Johnstown, on the picturesque campus of the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, PA. The campus is a 650-acre mountaintop wildlife preserve with 40 acres of hiking trails. Registrants are offered two package options:
- FULL PACKAGE: July 2 - 6 (five days, four nights). The program begins Wednesday afternoon (July 2).
- WEEKEND PACKAGE: July 4 - 6 (three days, two nights). The program begins Friday evening
The education program for all packages concludes Sunday afternoon.
WHEN IS CHECK IN TIME?
- FULL PACKAGE program check-in: 10 AM - 10 PM, WEDNESDAY, July 2nd
- WEEKEND PACKAGE program check-in: 5 - 11 PM, FRIDAY, July 4th
The first meal that will be served is lunch on Wednesday, July 2. The Saturday Farewell Dinner is included in all packages. The last meal served will be lunch on Sunday, July 6th. There will be delicious vegan meals designed to meet a variety of diets, including gluten free and raw food. They will be prepared under the direction of award winning chef Mark Reinfeld of Vegan Fusion.
You may choose:
- non-air-conditioned traditional student housing with two rooms sharing bathroom facilities.
- air-conditioned accommodations with private bath in the contemporary Living Learning Center.
See the event website for pricing information. The cost does increase as the event gets closer. Register by March 14 for the lowest rate.
NAVS can assign a roommate if you are attending alone and would like to qualify for the double-occupancy rate.
If you would like to attend, please indicate on this site if you will attend the full package or the weekend package so we will know when to expect you. I highly recommend going for the full conference if you are able to do so - it takes a couple of days just to get settled in and acclimated - particularly if you are a first-timer - and anyway it is a long way to go just for the weekend.
You will need to provide your own transportation to the conference. There is a message board set up on the conference website for people who are looking to carpool and you can post on this MeetUp site as well. Travel information can be found on the conference website.
Johnstown is in southwest Pennsylvania, approximately
- 239 miles west of Philadelphia
- 330 miles west of New York
Please check this link to the conference website for full information. If you are interested in attending, you must complete the registration form found on the event website and make payment directly to NAVS.
The full program for 2014 is not yet available, but you can check out the 2013 program on the event website.