addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Christine
user 25983742
Pipersville, PA
Post #: 5
Explanation of Open Mic Sign Up. (Nothing has changed according to Serge's April 2nd, 2011 post entitled "Open Mic Rules". The link still exists under Discussions forum).

Open mic starts at 7:30PM. We pick numbers at approximately 7:45, never before 7:30! The first Open Mic performer plays at 8:00PM.

When you pick a number from the "tea pot" (bucket) at open mic it puts you in queue to perform. Then, your name will be written on the line number that corresponds to the number you picked out of the tea pot. 
The numbers go up to 35 although there are usually only 15 performers or less.  
Q: Why numbers 1 thru 35? 
A: For precautionary reasons. For example,  if 35 people want to sign up and there are only 34 numbers then it messes up the odds if another number is added after numbers have already been picked from. 
Another reason that the series stretches from 1 to 35 is because people forget to give back the number tags. Lol...I am guilty of this. 

Here is how it works: 

Example 1: 
If you pick 5 and no one picked 2,3, or 4, then you are 2nd in queue to perform. No one gets to fill in those spaces unless their number corresponds.

Example2: If  you pick number 1, you can not sign your name at space number 9. If you want to ask the person who picked number 9 to switch. Fine! Ask politely, but it is not fair to just take their spot. Also, I will make a plea to our gracious members who have numbers 1-5 to switch if they do not have to get up early the next day. I have done this with success already.       

Be ready to perform. You might be the first performer. So! Have your guitar tuned, your sheet music prepared etc. when you arrive at open mic. Songs are three minutes or less. (don't add a chorus or two, don't pick "Stairway to Heaven" to play). Five songs in fifteen minutes is doable.  But if you play three or four they should still be three minutes apiece. I want to there to be incentive for the people who come prepared. I want to make it enjoyable and I think playing more songs rather than having dead air or taking 10 minutes to set up makes for a more enjoyable venue.  If you want to stay and play a second time after everyone has had their first... I hope that you will! And don't forget there is opportunity to play the first half hour as well. (See showcase details on message board).         

Now...about sign up... 

This IS a lottery. A simple lottery. Keep it simple. 

Merriam Webster Dictionary defines a lottery as:
" an event or affair whose outcome is or seems to be determined by chance".

Frequently asked questions:

1)  I picked number three from the lottery, so why is it unfair to take number 9?

Logic: The idea behind a lottery  is to avoid anyone from having influence or control over the order of the sign up in any way possible. A simple lottery solves this.       

If you pick a number you don't like, some particular evening, then just ask someone to switch spots.  I will help ask people as I go round and sign others on to the sign up sheet. I'll do my best. 

Here is a scenario of what happens at open mic and why I am insisting on a simple lottery. (if not a simple lottery, then "First Come First Serve").  Let's say I pick number two out of the teapot. The sign up sheet comes to me first, so all the lines are blank. I put my name in slot number 9. Because I like going on at that time. The person who really picked number 9 must choose another place on the list.  I am asserting that the result it is not fair is because I am manipulating the order that other people get to take their turn because I am taking their spot. To make matters worse for other people because others pushed from their spot go and take someone else's spot. Maybe when the method was devised this was not the intended outcome, but I can tell you from experience this is what happens.    

Look, some weeks you will pick your ideal number and other weeks you will not. It is the luck of the draw. It is a simple lottery. Did I mention it is a simple lottery? Lol. 

Peace, 
Christine 

A former member
Post #: 205
Great post.... save me spot #7 I'm running late. biggrin
Christine
user 25983742
Pipersville, PA
Post #: 8
Great post.... save me spot #7 I'm running late. biggrin
No! Not even for you! And I love you like one of my strange relatives who I feel sorry enough to pay charity.
A former member
Post #: 207
I might be the uncle your mother warned you about.
A former member
Post #: 208
Great post Dominic… I hope to see & hear you soon.
John H.
user 8565032
Newtown, PA
Post #: 30
The eternal debate over first-come, first-serve versus random chance seems to be alive and well in our group. So I would like to propose a simpler, basic solution that might accomplish a couple of meet-up goals: a white board with 10 minute slots with 18 numbered slots starting at 8pm and concluding at 11pm. When you arrive you sign up directly on the board in whatever slot is available: it is first-come/first-served but that's the way most every other aspect of open mikes function out there. So the early birds can perform at a reasonable hour and depart at a work-friendly time, and those who arrive later on in the evening will have an immediate idea of whether they will be able to perform that night. It would also let a performer know that they are up next and eliminate the need for our MC to track you down to let you know you're up next. And if you are not ready to perform at the appointed time, you forfeit your spot and go to the 11pm comeback-around spot.
This will also serve the function of keeping those among us who take a bit longer to set up in check time-wise so we keep the flow of the music going (i.e. if it takes you 5 minutes to set up, you now have 5 minutes to play). We may need to make an exception for our keyboard / digital audio device / drummer friends to set up pre-8pm or during the between spot transition times of earlier performers.
So we keep it simple, keep it flowing and destroy the tea pot just as our foremothers/forefathers did when escaping the imperialistic tyranny of foreign nations....
A former member
Post #: 93
Everyone's missing my point. The group decided the system. The group should they want a change should decide if there is a change. Then decide what change to make. Use whatever system the group wants. We are a group. Whatever gets decided by the group is fine with me. Go back to what it's been. Post a vote for different systems. Then go with what the majority would like. Not everyone will agree but at the very least the group got to choose the system. ( I know there are some who weren't in our group when the group decided that we liked the current system. ). It did take a long time to settle on current system. Mun
Christine
user 25983742
Pipersville, PA
Post #: 9
Hi John! Great post. Thanks for taking the time to explain your ideas so well. 
First,  "Down with tyranny"! I agree! Away with the tea pot!  (no smashing though, it is an antique. Lol). Second,  brilliant idea about the  eraser board. Brilliant! I wish I thought of it!   
Third, "First Come First Serve" works in most places.  But I differ on my opinion. Just to clarify what "First Come First Serve" means elsewhere. It means if you sign in first, you go first. You don't sign in on space number 9.
Finally,  I'm good with the 10 minute rule too.    

So, in essence, I am  voting for one of two systems. A "First Come First Serve" or, a "Simple Lottery". But no variations on these methods. There is a reason why every other open mic out there does it one of two ways. They are simple, everyone can understand them who comes, and they work! 

One more thing, Don't forget about showcase for early arrivers. This means if we all decide on "Fist Come First Serve"  the person playing showcase spot can choose to play first open mic slot too!  So, they will be up there from 7:25 to 8:10PM! Something to Hi John! Great post. Thanks for taking the time to explain your ideas so well. 
First,  "Down with tyranny"! I agree! Away with the tea pot!  (no smashing though, it is an antique. Lol). Second,  brilliant idea about the  eraser board. Brilliant! I wish I thought of it!   
Third, "First Come First Serve" works in most places.  But I differ on my opinion. Just to clarify what "First Come First Serve" means elsewhere. It means if you sign in first, you go first. You don't sign in on space number 9.

One thing to keep in mind,  if  we all decide on "Fist Come First Serve"  the person playing showcase spot can choose to play first open mic slot too!  So, they will be up there from 7:25 to 8:10PM! Something to think about when making your decision which method to choose.   

(anyone following this thread please read my previous posts about showcasing from 7:25 to 7:55PM , yes you still sign in too! Also, taking a second turn to play after everyone has had their first turn, hopefully by 11:00PM is an option too!)  
Christine
user 25983742
Pipersville, PA
Post #: 10
How I handle open mikes --> I work full time, and have to get up around 5:15 am during the week.
I settled on performing at open mikes that start at 8 pm or before, never later. I usually go early and arrive before the host is there and have dinner. The system where it is 1st come 1st served works best for me. I usually perform 1st or 2nd, and I can leave at a reasonable time for me to make it to my assignment the next morning. Most open mikes use this system and it's best suited for me. The last 3 times I went to Brady's I pulled a number above 15, so I couldn't wait around to play. For me it's not worth the chance of the draw to see if I can perform that evening considering the preparation time involved. At some of the open mikes I go to, many performers start arriving after 8:30 pm and later. I totally understand that Brady's Open Mike is not like other open mikes, it involves a group of members and many of the same people attend week after week. That is how I always looked at it and when this system started I didn't like it but that is what the group preferred.
Hey Dom! Thanks for posting.
Serge
GuitarSerge
Group Organizer
Langhorne, PA
Post #: 383
Hi John! Great post. Thanks for taking the time to explain your ideas so well. 

So, in essence, I am  voting for one of two systems. A "First Come First Serve" or, a "Simple Lottery". But no variations on these methods. There is a reason why every other open mic out there does it one of two ways. They are simple, everyone can understand them who comes, and they work! 

One more thing, Don't forget about showcase for early arrivers. This means if we all decide on "Fist Come First Serve"  the person playing showcase spot can choose to play first open mic slot too!  So, they will be up there from 7:25 to 8:10PM! Something to Hi John! Great post. Thanks for taking the time to explain your ideas so well. 

One more thing, Don't forget about showcase for early arrivers. This means if we all decide on "Fist Come First Serve"  the person playing showcase spot can choose to play first open mic slot too!  So, they will be up there from 7:25 to 8:10PM! Something to think about when making your decision which method to choose.   

(anyone following this thread please read my previous posts about showcasing from 7:25 to 7:55PM , yes you still sign in too! Also, taking a second turn to play after everyone has had their first turn, hopefully by 11:00PM is an option too!)  
Personally I think this is all a Tempest in a Teapot laughingbiggrin