addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 101
Vote for the system you want.

Pull a chip. That's your number

Pull a chip that's your turn to sign list WHEREVER there is an open slot.
Christine
user 25983742
Pipersville, PA
Post #: 23
Vote for the system you want.

Pull a chip. That's your number

Pull a chip that's your turn to sign list WHEREVER there is an open slot.

You crack me up! You didn't even pick a number last night! You can't win if you don't play. And if you don't play you don't win. Just sayin. Anywayyyyy...It is "ALL GOOD!". And, this topic has actually become entertaining for me. Lol. I love you Papa Bear and Teasing you too! But Seriously! Between the person who "Wants to eat their salad first" and is interrupted by picking an early slot to play, to the person who "Wants to be number 9 because they can get just the right "buzz on" and still have an audience to play for"... I really think it's quite funny! Tell me this...Are you having fun when you come out? We need positive feedback too in order to keep people coming. We had some one hundred people during the course of the night with the patrons and players combined. That is good for the venue and it is good for our group too! Love yoooooouuuu! Mean it.
A former member
Post #: 212
Poppa Bear, stop starting new threads; theirs only three people reading this crap. shock
A former member
Post #: 102
Poppa Bear, stop starting new threads; theirs only three people reading this crap. shock
Of course I have fun. I didn't pick a chip because when I see a big crowd I "standby" so others who don't always show can have my spot. If I've worked on something hard I want to play it. Just not happy with the change is what I'm saying. I do know a few of us are upset by the change without first asking us. I have total respect the Christine schleps all that stuff and works it and tears it down(something I can't do because I work early in the morning). We are a group,and not one of us should make any major changes without asking for a group decision. I know Judi is pissed and refuses to come back. I am upset that's what happened. I say let the group decide. If we aren't a group anymore let me know
A former member
Post #: 4
I have a suggestion regarding signup which I was going to keep to myself but decided to offer for what it’s worth. Has there been serious consideration of putting out a signup sheet as soon as you arrive to be filled out on a first come first served basis? I read some of the other discussion threads and didn’t see this topic but apologize if this idea was discussed and I missed it. First come first served would eliminate the time/effort used drawing numbers, writing names on the list, encouraging trades, etc. This would also eliminate the need for the showcase and allow performances to begin right at 7:30 pm. Most musicians have already arrived well before 7:30 pm so the signup sheet would most likely be populated enough for a 7:30 pm start. The showcase as I understand it was implemented to eliminate dead air time but changes to facilitate a 7:30 pm start would achieve the same result. Starting the performances at 7:30 pm would also allow for people at the end of the list to perform 30 minutes earlier making them more likely to stay. Currently by the time the highest numbers perform, they’ve watched the showcase person perform twice (45 minutes) and most of the crowd has left. The current system also creates situations like early arrivers performing late and people forced to perform early who if given the choice may prefer to perform in the middle of the pack. I’m a little biased because I unfortunately picked the last position two weeks in a row and knew immediately each time I wouldn’t be able to stay. Because I’d arrived early both nights and have a long drive, I was frustrated (although not upset) but still got to watch some good performances. I was offered the opportunity to trade up but certainly wouldn’t ask someone to trade their earlier position for my last place position. That’s not me and I would have felt terrible taking someone else’s earlier position then having to leave before seeing them perform. I witnessed someone graciously trade away their number 1 for someone else’s number 30 then sit for hours pondering the ramifications. To make matters worse, the person benefiting from the trade didn’t seem cognizant of the sacrifice so proceeded to perform then leave almost immediately. A major part of open mic is for musicians to encourage, respect, and listen to each other but dedication and early arrival should also be factored into the equation. Volunteering your time to host is certainly not an easy job and I really respect you and anyone who does it so my intention is not to throw stones. Regardless of your commitment and effort, you’ll unfortunately never please everyone and there will always be unhappy people. It’s been my experience though that minimizing the number of rules and implementing something in its most simple form is usually best. Having a single rule, first come first served, is the most simple solution to the point of minimizing the number of things people have to complain about. This is the only open mic I attend and I drive a long way to get there but I can no committ to attending with the current signup format. I’m not saying it’s wrong for everyone, it just doesn’t’ work for me. Time is not my friend to begin and the long commute is too much to come up empty handed so I need to attend something with a less probabilistic and more determinism signup system.
A former member
Post #: 213
I love this guy. great post tom!
A former member
Post #: 214
Maybe if we picked our number over the internet, we could stay home if we get a bad number. How green of us!
Christine
user 25983742
Pipersville, PA
Post #: 24
I have a suggestion regarding signup which I was going to keep to myself but decided to offer for what it’s worth. Has there been serious consideration of putting out a signup sheet as soon as you arrive to be filled out on a first come first served basis? I read some of the other discussion threads and didn’t see this topic but apologize if this idea was discussed and I missed it. First come first served would eliminate the time/effort used drawing numbers, writing names on the list, encouraging trades, etc. This would also eliminate the need for the showcase and allow performances to begin right at 7:30 pm. Most musicians have already arrived well before 7:30 pm so the signup sheet would most likely be populated enough for a 7:30 pm start. The showcase as I understand it was implemented to eliminate dead air time but changes to facilitate a 7:30 pm start would achieve the same result. Starting the performances at 7:30 pm would also allow for people at the end of the list to perform 30 minutes earlier making them more likely to stay. Currently by the time the highest numbers perform, they’ve watched the showcase person perform twice (45 minutes) and most of the crowd has left. The current system also creates situations like early arrivers performing late and people forced to perform early who if given the choice may prefer to perform in the middle of the pack. I’m a little biased because I unfortunately picked the last position two weeks in a row and knew immediately each time I wouldn’t be able to stay. Because I’d arrived early both nights and have a long drive, I was frustrated (although not upset) but still got to watch some good performances. I was offered the opportunity to trade up but certainly wouldn’t ask someone to trade their earlier position for my last place position. That’s not me and I would have felt terrible taking someone else’s earlier position then having to leave before seeing them perform. I witnessed someone graciously trade away their number 1 for someone else’s number 30 then sit for hours pondering the ramifications. To make matters worse, the person benefiting from the trade didn’t seem cognizant of the sacrifice so proceeded to perform then leave almost immediately. A major part of open mic is for musicians to encourage, respect, and listen to each other but dedication and early arrival should also be factored into the equation. Volunteering your time to host is certainly not an easy job and I really respect you and anyone who does it so my intention is not to throw stones. Regardless of your commitment and effort, you’ll unfortunately never please everyone and there will always be unhappy people. It’s been my experience though that minimizing the number of rules and implementing something in its most simple form is usually best. Having a single rule, first come first served, is the most simple solution to the point of minimizing the number of things people have to complain about. This is the only open mic I attend and I drive a long way to get there but I can no committ to attending with the current signup format. I’m not saying it’s wrong for everyone, it just doesn’t’ work for me. Time is not my friend to begin and the long commute is too much to come up empty handed so I need to attend something with a less probabilistic and more determinism signup system.
Yep! Keep it simple! That's what I think too! So the way I see it...either "first come first serve" or a "straight forward lottery". But no variation like the old way. (I did state this early on in the posts). Thanks for your input Tom! I whole heartedly agree!
A former member
Post #: 5
Hi Christine, Sorry to be a pest. Apologies that I haven't seen all of the posts but would # 3 below, a variation of FCFS, be an option?

Sorted Most Probabilistic to Most Deterministic (yes, I'm an IT geek)

1. Participate in the drawing and the number you pick is the slot you play (Current System)
2. Participate in the drawing and the number you pick lets you choose an open slot (Old System)
3. First come first served and the order you arrive lets you choose an open slot (My Recommendation)
4. First come first served and the order you arrive is the order you play (Early arrivers may wait outside and peek through the windows)
Serge
GuitarSerge
Group Organizer
Langhorne, PA
Post #: 385

Sorted Most Probabilistic to Most Deterministic (yes, I'm an IT geek)
Ok, we have way too many Geeks in the group. I walked outside last night and Charlie and Jeremy were talking bits and bytes - surprised no one mentioned a nibble smile