A former member
Post #: 6
no mention of nibbles but overheard a big-endian versus little-endian discussion
Serge
GuitarSerge
Group Organizer
Langhorne, PA
Post #: 386
Sounds shifty to me
Christine
user 25983742
Pipersville, PA
Post #: 25
Hi Christine, Sorry to be a pest. Apologies that I haven't seen all of the posts but would # 3 below, a variation of FCFS, be an option?

Sorted Most Probabilistic to Most Deterministic (yes, I'm an IT geek)

1. Participate in the drawing and the number you pick is the slot you play (Current System)
2. Participate in the drawing and the number you pick lets you choose an open slot (Old System)
3. First come first served and the order you arrive lets you choose an open slot (My Recommendation)
4. First come first served and the order you arrive is the order you play (Early arrivers may wait outside and peek through the windows)
No. Because It is problematic and complicated. Read the reasons why in my previous posts. Truthfully Tom, the simple lottery or simple first come first serve method is fair to everyone. We have had record breaking attendance for the past few months consideting it is summer. So I hope to see you again, but understand if you don't want to play early, because you want to pick a particular time of the evening. Some people dont like to go on stage "within the first hour" or until "after theyve eaten"...you get it. Still, please know that the invitation is open to do the opening set, however many songs you want. Heck you can even stay late and play after everyone has had their first turn! This method provides for more opportunity to play. Which is what we all come to do. You can hang out as long as you want and still leave when you want. Just want to let early risers and long commuters know they have option to go home early. Thanks again for your input.
Christine
user 25983742
Pipersville, PA
Post #: 26
Sounds shifty to me

Oh boy! Dorks! That what I call IT people. Hehe. Joking.
A former member
Post #: 7
Sounds shifty to me
slide to the left, slide to the right
Serge
GuitarSerge
Group Organizer
Langhorne, PA
Post #: 387
laughing Too funny..for those who understand.
A former member
Post #: 8
No. Because It is problematic and complicated. Read the reasons why in my previous posts. Truthfully Tom, the simple lottery or simple first come first serve method is fair to everyone. We have had record breaking attendance for the past few months consideting it is summer. So I hope to see you again, but understand if you don't want to play early, because you want to pick a particular time of the evening. Some people dont like to go on stage "within the first hour" or until "after theyve eaten"...you get it. Still, please know that the invitation is open to do the opening set, however many songs you want. Heck you can even stay late and play after everyone has had their first turn! This method provides for more opportunity to play. Which is what we all come to do. You can hang out as long as you want and still leave when you want. Just want to let early risers and long commuters know they have option to go home early. Thanks again for your input.
It’s unusual for me to voice an opinion but wanted to tie a bow around my feelings on the subject. I found the other discussion threads you mentioned and was unaware this was such a loaded subject. But just as I was unaware of the online debate, I think you may be unaware of the below the radar response. I don’t think you comprehend the magnitude of unhappiness and how many people feel disenfranchised. We drifted (middle) east on the democracy scale when we should have stayed in the west and drifted north on the probabilistic/deterministic scale when we should have drifted south. Now I sound like a smartass but am using analogies to articulate how a silent majority feel about the changes. I disagree that the FCFS option combined with choosing an open slot is problematic and complicated. I assumed the word "served" in FCFS included choosing an open slot which is how most open mics work. I also disagree that it allows for manipulation or controlling of the list although you didn’t specify why. If anything it manipulates the list in a way that benefits others by allowing them to go ahead of you. If early arrivals consistently front loading the list becomes a problem, then add a “can’t be in the top 3 two weeks in a row” rule. I don’t like the idea of pure FCFS and being forced into a slot based on when you arrived or seek a trade. Most people would rather relax and socialize than work the room looking for a trade after the list is set. If you do happen to find a balanced trade, you also then have to bother the host to change the order. It’s great that there is as you stated record breaking attendance and a lot of new people. There’s something to be said for attendance but loyalty to existing members is also important. The flip side is that a lot of existing members are no longer attending because they feel disenfranchised. Many were dedicated long time members who consistently showed up early to set up and stayed late to pack up. Not only do I no longer see them but I’ve sat among many who grumble about the new system. To me the absent friends and grumbling has taken away a lot of the fun which is another important piece. You’re the custodian of something that was built over a number of years before being handed over. There’s a Chinese proverb that says "Drinking the water of a well, one should never forget who dug it". The fact that there’s so much defection, emotion and grumbling is an indication that it’s not successful. I’m sharing the honest opinion of myself others who you may not be aware of but really do mean it very respectfully. I’ve had a lot of fun, met a lot of great people, learned a lot about performing and really enjoyed the past two years. Even though my circumstances won’t allow me to attend anymore I do wish you and the group luck moving forward.
A former member
Post #: 9
Christine, Please forgive the tone of my previous comment which was unintended. I respect you as a musician and friend and admire the committment you've shown by stepping forward to lead the group. I should know better than to type at 1:00 am while running on fumes and truely regret if I offended you or anyone. Tom
Christine
user 25983742
Pipersville, PA
Post #: 27
Christine, Please forgive the tone of my previous comment which was unintended. I respect you as a musician and friend and admire the committment you've shown by stepping forward to lead the group. I should know better than to type at 1:00 am while running on fumes and truely regret if I offended you or anyone. Tom

Tom, no offense taken. Please let me know how the attendance is at other open mics using the system that you want and have suggested. For now, I'm using a simple lottery. It is the closest to what Serge only simpler. I think keeping it simple is easier for people to understand. Btw, my previous post, however boring, did in fact explain why the old way was not fair to everyone. But allow me to add another set back of the old way: we didn't get started until later because it took so long to sign people up. Serge, and then I, had to call out each number individually, then stand over each person while they decided when they wanted to play. This takes a lot of time. Sometimes we didn't start until 820PM! This would be the case with first come first serve variation that you suggested. Why? Because I would have to stand at attention at the front door and make people sign as they walked through it. Otherwise, there will be arguments over who got there first and who didn't get to sign first. I can't stand over people. It's got to be done quickly. Hope is explaination helps.
A former member
Post #: 103
I give up. Not listiening. Have fun with YOUR open mike. I wish you well. I mistakenly thought we were a group. Our opinions mean nothing.