addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Buddhism meetup Message Board › Chili Recipe

Chili Recipe

A former member
Post #: 5
This is a mild Chili, good for those who aren't crazy about spicy hot food. Instead the sweetness of root vegetables and corn complements the bean and chili flavor. Kasha is a wonderful nutritious filler that adds texture without taking anything away from the flavor. If you do want to make it spicier simply add more paper flakes to taste.

Kasha Root Chili
2 (14.5 oz) can diced or stewed tomatoes or 3 cups of diced fresh tomatoes, undrained
4 cups vegetable broth
1 medium turnip, peeled and diced in 1/4 inch cubes
1 large rutabaga, peeled and diced in 1/4 inch cubes
2.5 cups (about 2 cans) cooked pinto beans, kidney, or mixed chili beans (I used pinto)
1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon minced or thinly sliced (I have a garlic slicer) garlic
1 heaping teaspoon cumin
1 heaping teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
1/4 teaspoon Thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
3/4 cup whole kasha (uncooked)
1 cup whole kernals of corn (frozen works well)

In large skillet: add tomatoes, broth or water, and spices. Bring to a boil and add diced rutabaga and turnip. Cook for 10 minutes. Add kasha and beans, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until kasha is tender but not overcooked. Once everything is close to cooked add the frozen or fresh corn. Makes about 8 servings.

Seventh Generation gave me the original recipe but I changed it a bit...­

Here is what they say about Kasha:

Kasha, also known as buckwheat groats, is both filling and nutritious. It's packed with high value protein, and it contains all essential amino acids, making it closer to being a complete protein than soybeans. Plus, it provides more than 20 percent of the recommended dietary fiber, to fill you up, regulate your blood sugar, balance your intestinal PH, and speed the passing of food through your digestive system.

Kasha was introduced to the Russians in the 13th century and was originally considered a royal ceremonial meal. It soon became a dish for all, praised for being both filling and inexpensive.