add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Buddhism meetup Message Board › Another case of sexual misconduct in the American Zen community...

Another case of sexual misconduct in the American Zen community...

A former member
Post #: 30
Below is a message that appears on the homepage of the Zen teacher Genpo Roshi. For those that do not know of him, he is an American Zen teacher, who developed the quite powerful Big Mind process. The Big Mind process is a combination of Eastern non-dual wisdom and Western psychological understanding to transmit the essence of Zen in a way that is readily accessible and relevant to the modern day.
You can read for yourself about Genpo Merzel, however, briefly, he asserts that he experienced a series of spontaneous awakenings and realizations when he was 26 years old in 1971. A year later he began to train under the Zen master Maezumi Roshi. Upon completion of formal koan study in 1979 he received Shiho (Dharma Transmission) in 1980 as Maezumi Roshi’s second Dharma successor. In 1996, a year after Maezumi Roshi’s death, he received Inka (title Roshi), the final seal of approval as Zen Master from Bernie Glassman Roshi. Find out more about Genpo Merzel here. There are also several videos of him doing the Big Mind process on youtube.
And now back to Jane with the weather,
Ps. sorry about that, but I just didn't know how to end it...biggrin

Owning My Responsibility
I have chosen to disrobe as a Buddhist Priest, and will stop giving Buddhist Precepts or Ordinations, but I will continue teaching Big Mind. I will spend the rest of my life truly integrating the Soto Zen Buddhist Ethics into my life and practice so I can once again regain dignity and respect. My actions [sexual misconduct] have caused a tremendous amount of pain, confusion, and controversy for my wife, family, and Sangha, and for this I am truly sorry and greatly regret. My behavior was not in alignment with the Buddhist Precepts. I feel disrobing is just a small part of an appropriate response.
I am also resigning as an elder of the White Plum Asangha. My actions should not be viewed as a reflection on the moral fabric of any of the White Plum members.
With great humility I will continue to work on my own shadows and deeply rooted patterns that have led me to miss the mark of being a moral and ethical person and a decent human being. I appreciate all the love and support as well as the criticism that has been shared with me. Experiencing all the pain and suffering that I have caused has truly touched my heart and been the greatest teacher. It has helped open my eyes and given me greater clarity around my own dishonest, hurtful behavior as well as my sexual misconduct. I recently entered therapy and plan to continue indefinitely with it. I am in deep pain over the suffering I have caused my wife, children, students, successors and Sangha.

With Sadness and Love,
D. Genpo Merzel