N.B You can read this book for free online here.
Quip:" With his distinctive clarity and wit, "Bhante G" takes us step by step through the myths, realities, and benefits of meditation and the practice of mindfulness. We already have the foundation we need to live a more productive and peaceful life — Bhante simply points to each tool of meditation, tells us what it does, and how to make it work. This expanded edition includes the complete text of its bestselling predecessor, as well as a new chapter on the cultivation of loving kindness, an especially important subject in today's world."
Amazon Link (cost $)
Online, Free Version
Find at a library near you
The Slush Pile- future books, roughly in order.
* Dharma Punx, Levine - Personal story
* Foundations of Buddhism, Gethin - Scholar survey of Buddhism
* Mindful Eating, Jan Chozen Bays - Applying Buddhism to daily life.
* In the Buddha’s Words, Bodhi - Representative works from Pali Canon. Feel free to discuss any sutra for this meetup-- reading Sutras is not light reading, so
* Buddhism for Mothers, Napthali - Applying Buddhism to daily life
* Concise History of Buddhism, Stilton AND/OR The Story of Buddhism, Lopez - Scholarly survey of Buddhism from the time of the Buddha until now. Neither available in ebook form!
* The Wisdom of No Escape, Pema Chodron, popular Buddhism from the Tibetan angle.
* Boddhisatva’s Brain, Flanagan - Intersection of Science, Philosophy and Buddhism