Note: If you put your name on the waiting list then you will get an email inviting you to decide whether or not you are going to join in this hike a few days before the hike. The first 12 people who respond to that email will be listed as participants in the hike. Those who don't respond to the email will remain on the waiting list which will then operate as a normal waiting list.
I go on these hikes whether or not anyone else joins in, but I need to know if others are joining as I will wait at the trailhead for late arriving participants.
This hike will go from the x-country ski hut to the point where the snowmobile trail exits the woods near the point where the park road bridge crosses over the Sprague Brook, a total of 6 miles. I prefer to park a car or two at the exit point and drive the 1 mile back to the ski hut because I am not a fan of road walking. Those wanting the extra mile of hiking can either do the road walk or explore the trails on the other side of Footes Road after returning to the ski hut (which is something I might do myself.)
A waiver of liability will be required. You can download it, sign it, then scan and return it to me by email, fax, or bring a signed copy with you to the hike. (Send me an email through the meetup system and request either the email address for a scanned copy or the fax number for a fax copy.) Here is the link to the release form: Release of Liability
Link to the G4Map – trail in orange, road walk in auqua
Link to the Elevation Profile
This is a link to a park map that shows the location of campsite 123 which I'm trying to reserve and the location of the Ski Lodge, where we will start the hike. Marked Park Map
I'm planning on renting a campsite in the upper camping area near the trail extension (same place as last year) for Friday and Saturday night. Let me know if you want to join me – At each campsite we can have two cars, two tents (my hammock counts as one tent) and 8 campers (but 4 is probably all we would want per site - 8 per site would be way too many).
If the site I am trying to rent is open, then it is likely that several of the adjacent sites will also be available if more people want to camp. Price is $15/night - check out time is 11 am so if you stay just Friday night you'll need to check out before the hike. That’s why I’m renting for Saturday night in addition to Friday night - so even if I don’t stay Saturday night due to weather at least I can leave as late and I want on Saturday evening.
If site 123 is not open then I will probably not camp. If I stay over Saturday night I’ll probably do some bass fishing in the lake – if you plan on fishing you will need a New York State fishing license.
Site 123 was available so I reserved it for Friday and Saturday night. I was told that the camp sites in the vicinity are currently available (sites 120, 118, 116, and 114 are the next adjacent sites.) You can call [masked] to make a reservation.