Buffalo Hiking Club Message Board › Biker lost then found in Allegany State Park

Biker lost then found in Allegany State Park

Gary
WNYTrails
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 231
SALAMANCA, N.Y. (WIVB) - A mountain biker from Depew is safe after getting lost for several hours in Allegany State Park.

One of our photographers was there Tuesday afternoon as police brought the man out of the woods near Exit 21 of I-86. A State Police helicopter had been searching by air while Park Police and deputies from the Cattaraugus County Sheriff's Office searched by ground.

Jason Wilkie said, "Very easy to panic, I guess, is the best way to put it. I consider myself that I can carry myself pretty well and definitely a lot of thoughts go through your head."

Wilkie says he's grateful to all the officers and deputies who searched for him.

Biker lost in woods found after search

The story isn't so much that it happened to him, but rather than it can happen to anyone whether out hiking or riding a bike in the woods.

A day hike (or bike) is something you plan. Being prepared to spend an unexpected night in the woods is something you prepare for before going on a day hike (or bike).