The Buffalo Gamers Society! Message Board RPG Campaign & Delve Night Discussions › Wesley Young's "The Struggle of Nations"

Wesley Young's "The Struggle of Nations"

John G.
user 4700290
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 107
Upon closer examination of the various classes, I'll probably go with either an Arcane Trickster or an urban-combat type ranger. :-)
Kevin B.
Turlock
Medina, NY
Post #: 140
Are you going by the Pathfinder sizing (where most any weapon can be re-sized for the wielder) or 3.0, with fixed weapon sizing? Look into a Small composite longbow, it does 1d6 + any built-in Strength bonuses.

I actually did consider a composite longbow for Shadowmoss, however, I thought I read somewhere that hobbits* could only use shortbows.

I did find the fact of longbows existing for small size characters a bit of a contradictory dilemma. In the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, longbows for small size characters have the same range increment as longbows for medium size ones. I mean, the idea behind a longbow being long is because it adds extra range to the distance the arrows can travel. The longer the bowstring, the further back it can be pulled, hence creating greater stored energy that results in the arrow traveling further when the energy is transferred from bowstring to arrow. In ancient times, true longbows were the length of the archer (or even a bit greater). So a longbow for a small size character would have to be shorter due to the obvious fact of a small size character being shorter than a medium size one...especially in the case of a hobbit. I was going to ask Wes about this but I showed up almost 30 minutes late for that session and didn't want to disrupt it given that it was already underway. Anyways, I'm not sure if I just found a chink in the rules or I'm overlooking something. To save any last minute confusion, I'm going with an elf so we don't have to worry about perusing the rules beforehand.

* I've always considered the term "halfling" rather derogatory as the term "half" essentially denotes less than full or incomplete, suggesting that hobbits were somehow "less than" the other taller races. I believe Tolkien recognized this fact as well. If you notice in the Lord of the Rings that the races of elves, men, and dwarves referred to hobbits as hobbits and the evil beings (orcs, goblins, Saruman, etc.) referred to hobbits as halflings.
John G.
user 4700290
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 108
Yeah, I think it's a flaw in the rules. Any RPG has 'em. smile
Kevin B.
Turlock
Medina, NY
Post #: 141
Ok, an emergency has come up that will prevent me from making it tonight. I'll elaborate on it later but, for now, I have to get going! See you in two weeks! Sorry guys!! =(
Joshua R.
LordOfWar
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 63
So I will be officially back April 29th and be able to game on May 5th it will be nice to game again also If Wes also i will be posting Turin's solo quest.
Wesley D. Y.
user 6127759
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,090
Go for it, Josh... I'm so busy over here lately ... geez...
Joshua R.
LordOfWar
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 64
Go for it, Josh... I'm so busy over here lately ... geez...

Wesley I liked the Solo quest and there is about 2 games left before I return so there really isn't any need to do the play by post any more thank you for accommodating me well I was away.
Wesley D. Y.
user 6127759
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,091
No problem. I'll be happy to have you finally back!
Joshua R.
LordOfWar
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 65
- as all great stories go - Turin walked into a good old bar and been offered a treasure map by some washed-up looking ex-pirate. It looks old and yellowed enough. Don't worry right now about the actual price of the map (we can discuss that sort of thing when you get back to Buffalo), but he offers to sell it to you, saying that it does indeed "Lead the way to lost and rare magical trinkets."

I'll give you a chance to roll your dice, Josh. Make some d20 rolls for Appraise (Is the map the real thing?), and Sense Motive (Is this guy the real thing?).

You get +7 on Appraise and 0 on Sense Motive.

so this guy in the bar seems honest enough, and the map is certainly genuine enough, so you barter for it, and then spend an hour in the town buying some gear for travel and exploration (the map shows the lost magic item is located in an ancient jungle temple off the coast of Alfheim). Properly equipped with all manner of rope, machette, rations, etc. you charter a boat, and after several days of sailing, you land on the shore.

You head inland, walking through the jungle for an hour... SURVIVAL SKILL ROLL OF 5 [no bonus from skill ranks, plus a bonus of +4 from the map equals a total of 9 total] VS a DC of 15 = FAILURE

After an hour of slashing at fronds, vines, and slogging through undergrowth, you realize you are either lost, or have just missed your mark somehow.

SURVIVAL ROLL OF 10 [no bonus from skill ranks, plus a bonus of +4 from the map equals a total of 14] VS a DC of 10 = SUCCESS

You realize you are not lost after stopping and hearing the sounds of a nearby river off in the distance, and seeing that a river is marked on the map ... you must've just drifted off course somehow. You decide to just head to the river and attempt to get back on to the correct course.

PERCEPTION ROLL of 6 [bonus of +5 from skill ranks] for a total of 11 VS DC of 10 = SUCCESS

You hear, in the distance, and approaching quickly, the buzzing of a rather large insect-like creature ...

What do you want to do?

First thing Turin does is draw his long bow and then hide if he is engaged in combat turin will utilize his arcane accuracy Which adds +5 to his attack for one round and uses 1 arcane pool point to be clear Turin will only engage in combat if he is attacked

Stealth skill check comes out to a total of 16, and you hide behind a nearby tree. A rather large wasp comes buzzing into view. Knowledge Nature check of 13 tells you that the biggest threat from these things is the poisoned stinger.

It buzzes about, failing to see you. After a few tense minutes, it buzzes away.

Mucking on ahead, you finally come into the temple itself.

If you head north, it looks like you'll go into some caverns, while east leads-off into some ruined grassy areas that used to be the gardens. You can faintly see bushes and a ruined building in that direction.

Turin will as draw his elven curve blade and head off towards the
caverns as stealthily as possible making sure to observe the area
around, him if he is engaged in combat Turin will utilize an arcane
point to enhance his hit and damage by 1 this is a swift action.

Carefully keeping an eye open for any signs of lost magical items, as well as traps & creatures, you head into the caverns. It starts to get rather damp, and rather dark (You are holding your everburning torch in your left hand I am assuming). You have to burn-away and clear out several thick nasty spiderwebs.

Perception Check of 25 --- You very easily spot a pit trap nearby and step right around it.

Headed past the pit, you shortly fail to overcome a well-hidden tripwire and set-off an arrow trap (Perception was an 11 vs the Trap's 15). A nasty arrow flies out of a nearby hole in the wall, and your Reflex Save of 23 totally saves you from the poisoned contraption.

You come into a side chamber. This looks like where the main water supply was dug. A well, with water still visible down in the bottom, and (Perception of 25 - I'm rolling super for you tonight!) allows you to make out what clearly looks like a golden object down below, in the water. The well is about 15 deep - your rope can easily be attached to a nearby support and be used to lower you down --- or do you want to do something else? Move on and come back? =)

Turin will cast unseen servant twice using spell recall to regain the
level 1 spell which will use 1 arcane point Which will leave Turin
with 9 points i will then have the unseen servants recover the object
once the object is recovered Turin will move on continuing to remain
observant and keeping his curve blade out once again if attacked he
will utilize an arcane point to up his attack and damage by 1.

Joshua R.
LordOfWar
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 66
You easily recover what turns-out to be a golden chess piece (A pawn, actually) using the Unseen Servant spell.

Perception check of 3 (Skill points of 5, minus 4 for being slightly preoccupied and a stealthy foe nearby, and I rolled a grand total of 2) means you rather fail to see the large, hairy spider sneaking up on you (Even if you hadn't been pre-occupied, the result of 6 still wasn't enough to beat the DC of 15). The spider is about the size of a small dog, and actually kinda hisses at you - seems you've wandered into its territory and are fishing-around in its water supply.

Initiative roll is 12 vs. the Giant Spider's 14, plus you are surprised for 1 round.

You use an arcane point to up your attack & damage by 1 and attempt to fend-off the horrible critter...

The spider attacks with a 7 during the surprise round, which is nothing.
During round 1 it attacks with an 18, which just barely misses you.
You attack with a 13, which is ineffective.
The spider lunges at you and attempts to bite you with a total of 22, which is a hit that does a mere 3 damage
(Fortitude save of 11 following the bite - Fail, you feel the burn of a weak poison which saps you of a further 7 hp)
You attack with a 25, solidly hitting the critter and hitting it for 14 damage (d10+5+1)
The spider, bleeding badly, attempts to bite you with a puny 11 and misses.
(Fortitude save of 9, you are still poisoned, taking 5 damage)
You attack with a 29 and inflict a whopping 19 points of damage on the bleeding nasty thing, killing it.

Fortitude save of 22 means you overcome the poison.

You are down to 30 HP.

Before venturing further into the caves, do you want to do anything else?

Turin needs to continue on this time he will be a little more
perceptive Turin pockets the pawn Turin has the unseen
servant I will have one of them stay 15 feet ahead of me and the other
15 feet behind that way one of them can set off traps or fend off well
not really fend off but serve as a barrier against monsters giving
Turin time to prepare

Turin if he encounters a big baddy Turin would utilize his arcane
point to enhance his sword by +1 and point he would then cast shield
to up his ac by 4 when he attacks use arcane accuracy which enhances
his attack by +5 which uses an arcane point. he would also utilize
other spells

when Turin runs out of arcane points and dwindles his spell lsit out
he would probably either retreat or if his enemy is vanquished rest

Turin's spell list for the day is
0 level spells
detect magic
prestidigitation
floating disk
read magic
acid splash

1st level spells
unseen servant
magic missile
shocking grasp
shield
true strike

2nd level spells
cats grace
fire breath
invisibility

Also if Turin Falls bellow 20 hp he will definitely retreat.

Venturing further into the caves you easily notice the thick spiderwebs that choke the tunnels, and your floating hand alerts you to another spider (perhaps the other one's mate?) so that you are not surprised.

Using an arcane point and rolling initiative (12) you brace yourself as the critter lunges straight at you.

It bites for a wimpy 7, and you attack right back with a 13 - neither of you lands a blow.
The spider chomps for 9, and you a 7.
The spider hisses, and then lunges for 19, which is a hit of 8 points.
You lash back at the spider with a natural 20, and confirm with a 22, inflicting 18 total damage, which seriously wounds it.
The spider tries to retreat and lick its wounds, giving you a free attack of 9 - which misses.

The spider has climbed far up into the ceiling, vanishing into the darkness (inside a hole of some sort), where it probably will not bother you for some time.

Perception of 16 reveals a lot of things stuck in the spider's web. You carefully collect about 1,000gp! And another couple of chess pieces (A King, a Queen, and a Rook).

You are down to 22 hp, and you decide to retreat from the caverns and abandoned temple for the night, and rest-up a bit.

By-the-by, Josh, have you noticed how - when adventuring solo - just a single giant spider or two poses a massive threat? Isn't that crazy? You guys as a group would swat them aside like flies. It's funny.

You spend several days fixing-up your wounds (Heal checks of 1, 14, and 4 make things go slowly), regaining your strength, and preparing to go back inside. You have several more days of rations left.

Venturing back into the caves, you head into the deepest part, but you are blocked.

There is a small 5x5 board here - like a miniature chess board. It has engravings on it that clearly mark where certain pieces are supposed to be placed - it looks like a knight is missing.

The only place in the temple that you have not explored is the old gardens, so you head over to there.

There is a rotted gazebo in the garden, an old and dry fountain that is chocked with weeds, an old shed that is partially collapsed, and oddest of all - almost creepy - a topiary of a lizard-like creature that is still all properly trimmed and in perfect condition.

What do you want to do?

Turins Spells for today

Turin's spell list for the day is
0 level spells
detect magic
prestidigitation
floating disk
read magic
mages hand

1st level spells
unseen servant
magic missile
shocking grasp
shield
true strike

2nd level spells
cats grace
fire breath
invisibility

carefully observing the lizard statue and using detect magic and
unseen servant to explore check to see if the lizard is trapped if its
not have it move onto the gazebo (OH DEAR GOD ITS A GAZEBOO RUN AWAY!
RUN AWAY! just kidding)
then the fountain and then the shed if its all safe Turin will use an
arcane point to recall the 1st level spell then Turin will physically
search the areas

Turin's attack protocol for small CR Turin will use an arcane point to
gain a +2 attack and damage( i looked it up apparently every 4 levels
the arcane point enhancement gains a +1) and he utilize spell combat
which grants a -2 penalty to his melee attacks but allows him to use a
spell off hand (magic missile) the arcane point will offset this

Turin's combat protocol remains the relatively same for high cr rated
creatures Turin would utilize his arcane
point to enhance his sword by +2 and point he would then cast shield
to up his ac by 4 when he attacks use arcane accuracy which enhances
his attack by +5 which uses an arcane point. he would also utilize
other spells with either spell combat or spellstrike (using shocking
grasp and channeling it through is sword which is 5d6 extra damage

ill let you use your discretion on which spells Turin will use.

I do find it funny that a giant spider poses such a threat plus
without a cleric or even a rouge i have to utilize spells that i would
never usually utilize like unseen servant i cannot remember the last
time in game someone used the spell