The Buffalo Gamers Society! Message Board RPG Campaign & Delve Night Discussions › new player looking for people to play d&d with

new player looking for people to play d&d with

Nick
npierce
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1
hi ive never played d&d before but ive become very interested in playing recently and im looking for some more experienced people to play with ive also been trying to get a couple of my friends to play one of which has played before so if you have and extra opening or two that would be cool but not necessary anybody who is interested please contact me at nicholasemail5@yahoo.com
Mark K.
user 7494885
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,010
Hi, Nick.

Are you looking for a single Learn to Play game, or an Ongoing Campaign?
Nick
npierce
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 2
probably a learn to play game and then a campaign how long do they they go do you mean ongoing like forever or just a game that takes a several sessions to finish either way id be up for pretty much anything
Christopher S. W.
KumKawtKiller
Niagara Falls, NY
Post #: 340
There are basically what we call one shots. They're one night games and then they are done. Usually those appear on the schedule on Saturday evenings. I did one this past weekend using the Dragon Age rule set based off the video game by Bioware.

As far as 'campaigns', there are a lot of variety there. Mark can tell you about D&D Encounters which run on Wednsday evenings and they are relatively short sessions (1 or 2 hours) using 4th Edition rules. Quick and easy to learn how to play one of the many RPG games out there in the gaming world.

Campaigns are a totally different ballgame. Some campaigns last 3 years (one of the 1st Edition D&D games ran by Jim M. here at the Meetup was that long) and some games are shorter where it might be 5 or 6 sessions. Also, as an aside to the 'one shot' mentality, there are games that meld the idea of one shots and campaigns together. The idea there is that each session is self-contained but the characters can carry over from session/game to another. I have run these 'delve campaign' ideas before as well as Jim M. in his Oriental Adventures, Serenity, Cowboy Bebop and Hellboy games that have been run over the past year or so.
Mark K.
user 7494885
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,011
Nick, if you have a couple friends available this Saturday or next, I can run a session for you, and show you guys the ropes.

If you are interested in a weekly game, Encounters is an option. Every Wed night, we meet for 1-2 hours, and we play a continuing storyline that takes 2-3 months to resolve. Think of it like a season of your favorite TV show, where each week builds on the last, to create a story across several episodes.

If either of those sound appealing to you, just let me know and we can set it up.
Jim M.
Paleogamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 535
I think Christopher covered what we do at Saturday games pretty well, I will be running some one night D&D games on a Saturday coming up, new players are always welcome.
Nick
npierce
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 3
i will not be able to do Wednesdays unfortunately its the one day a week i have night classes and i cant meet this Saturday because im going to a concert but i can do next saturday what is the time and the place and im curious who will be there, what the general age group is and what specific game we would be playing also if there are any other games on any other days let me know i can probably go to them
Nick
npierce
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 4
ps so far it is just me i will let you know if any of my friends decide to come
Mark K.
user 7494885
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,012
Nick, on Saturday, we usually meet in Baldy Hall, on the University of Buffalo's North Campus. We have a wide variety of people who show up. A lot of folks are 18-30, but we get younger kids and old grognards as well. Everyone is welcome.

Unfortunately, next Saturday, I will be out of town for a gaming convention in Geneseo. What time is your concert this Saturday? Would a session earlier in the day work for you? I could do a learn to play game from Noon to 3PM, if that works for your schedule.

If Thursday nights are good for you, you could try the Buff State gaming night, or we could try to set up a session at a different time.
Nick
npierce
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 5
I really can't do this Saturday tell me more about this Thursday night gaming night if need be I can meet the Saturday after next or I am free on weekends and week nights besides Wednesday