The Edmonton English Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Tail Amputation

Tail Amputation

Kiley, Wade & M.
KileyDearling
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 2
Hi, Our year old bulldog has constant tail infections and is very uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone knew of a vet that will perform a tail amputation, and if anyone has had one done for there bully - how much did it cost? Our current vet does not do them.

Thanks.
Kevin & L.
user 9863417
Morinville, AB
Post #: 19
Hi, I was just wondering why are you thinking about tail ampution?
Andrea C.
user 14107669
Sherwood Park, AB
Post #: 4
Our Bulldog Frank has had ongoing issues with infections under his tail, in the "tail pouch". It's still at the point where we can manage it with cleaning and meds, but we might be looking at an amputation down the road. Our vet is Dr. Stretch at the Spruce Grove Vet Clinic. He is sort of like a "Bulldog expert". I know he does these surgeries but I don't know the exact cost. We find his fees to be very reasonable, usually half the cost of what other vets charge. Good luck!
Kiley, Wade & M.
KileyDearling
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 3
Hi, I was just wondering why are you thinking about tail ampution?

We are thinking this because of how much discomfort he is in. We keep it clean and use ointments prescribed, but it doesnt seem to work. He cries and rubs his butt on the ground so much his fur is fallling out. I hate to see him like this. Its been like this since he was a baby and its not getting better. I want him to be more comfortable and not in pain. :(
Kevin & L.
user 9863417
Morinville, AB
Post #: 20
Gus has a very tight tail too, have you tried taking a shower head and flushing it out with warm water. You will have to do this for a couple of days it will help clean up the infection. Make sure you dry it the best I know he will protest , Qtips work well in some spots. Cornstarch helps dry up the tail too. We even had to pit Gus on antibiotic just to get it under control. We found that taking chicken out of the diet seemed to work to.i hope this helps and I would see dr.stretch too.
Simon & C.
user 29274042
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 2
I'm assuming that the infection is happening in the anal glands or sacs.
My recommendation would be to investigate changing to a raw diet. I highly recommend that you speak to Gino at doggy style deli. You can visit their website and it has some informatoin about the benefits of raw diet as well - it helps encourage the natural emptying of the anal glands. Try visit this website http://doggystyledeli...­
We have had our Chester on raw for a couple years now. His ears are much cleaner - his skin is healthier - and no trouble with anal glands.
Hope this helps save an amputation.
Kiley, Wade & M.
KileyDearling
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 4
I do the shower for him, and use baby powder. I also use anti biotic cream from the vet. I also get his anal glands cleaned by a groomer. Hes got an infection in his tail pouch. I use raw food mixed in with their ( i have two) dry food.
Kevin & L.
user 9863417
Morinville, AB
Post #: 21
I would use just cornstarch there might be something in the baby powder that is making it worse. I would go see dr.stretch. Gus sometimes needs a heavy coarse on antibiotic and steroid to get it under control then isn't easier to keep the tail healthy.