The Edmonton English Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Allergy testing

Allergy testing

laurie and b.
user 10135722
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 11
Hello all....need to take my lil bud in for allergy testing but unfortunately this can cost a lot and I'm looking for any help. I think he has some food allergies but in the last 2 years...I have noticed that he reacts to something in grasses as his belly gets all itchy and red. I feel so bad for him cause he's scratching and I bath him regular to try and help relieve this nasty itch

Does anyone know of a vet that does it very economical? I have heard a vet does it in Montana and it only cost $100 for full spectrum test?
Jackie & E.
user 4751417
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 42
Hi Laurie and Bob,

Allergy test are not always reliable. I had two set of tests done on Zsu Zsi and was later told by the vet that if it is a protein allergy and the dog does not eat that certain protein, it will not show up as an allergen even if it is.
This time of year is also really bad for snow mold and that seems to effect lots of dogs and people. ZZ had very reactive paws; red, itch and sometime infected. I found that soaking them in Epsom salt really helped to dry them out and relieve some of her distress. But ultimately she had so many allergies that I did have to put her on meds.
For me, it was a 'trial and error' thing to find out what she could and could not eat. I went to a raw food diet which helped immensely as their was one protein and I added veggies that I knew worked (no grains).
If you decided to go ahead with the allergy test just know that it does not include things like cheese or other things you may be feeding Bud, it's extra $ to add things so be sure to check the list they provide.
I don't know much about the prices, but vets send the test to labs that have their specified fees. I go to Parkwest and they are reasonable in general.
Good luck and I hope Bud feels better soon.