The Edmonton English Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Bully Breathing issue.. Surgery required?

Bully Breathing issue.. Surgery required?

Loni A.
user 95738392
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 1
Hello,
I have a 8 month old Bulldog and have been considering having his nostrils clipped (and maybe soft palate surgery to enlarge his air way). His breathing isn't serious or life threatening, I just want him to be more comfortable breathing and sleeping.
has anyone had either of these surgeries done to their bully? If so, do you have any suggestions or experiences you could share if it worked or not..
THANKS
Heather M.
user 53386632
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 1
Hey there,

My boyfriend and I currently own a black and white bulldog who has been going to these meetups for a while now. Prior to owning her though, we had a little pup named Leena. It was suggested to us to have her nostrils clipped and the soft palate surgery as well. We were unfortunately unable to make a decision on whether or not we would have this surgery done because she passed immediately following her spay surgery.

Basically, we were told that the breathing tube and its removal following surgery had irritated her small trachea (likely a trait shared by your bully if these surgeries have been suggested BUT that is an assumption on my end). The irritation was so severe that she eventually was unable to breathe on her own and devastatingly, passed away. After some research following her death, we learned that it is better, in these types of situations if the dog is older (and therefore stronger) to deal with any potential complications/stress easier. It certainly would have allowed her trachea to grow bigger and stronger.

I'm not writing this to scare you or try and discourage you from getting the surgery done. Maybe what happened to Leena was a complete 'one-off' - please don't take this story as scare tactics. I just HAD to share our experiences with you after I read your message and how similar of a position we were in with our 8 month girl. I just wanted to share our story *in case*. It was a terrible, terrible loss and we wish someone had told us of the options of waiting until Leena was at least a year and a half before we had done it.

Best of luck in your research!!
Loni A.
user 95738392
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 2
Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry to hear about little Leena. hopefully I can make it to the next meetup to see if anyone else some suggestions..
Sandra G.
user 49809452
Spruce Grove, AB
Post #: 4
Hi there, Tig is our second bulldog who we have loved and cared for. Both have had theses surgeries and they are very common. Dr Stretch at the Spruce Grove Vet has done both surgeries. I think it is important to get them done. It will be easier on your furry friend and you
Sandra G.
user 49809452
Spruce Grove, AB
Post #: 5
This surgery was done on Tig when she was approximately 7 or 8 months old. My other one, she was quite a bit older