The Edmonton English Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › looking for good reputable bulldog breeder....anyone have any suggestions??

looking for good reputable bulldog breeder....anyone have any suggestions??

A former member
Post #: 1
We had our Bulldog Buzz for 3 great years. He had numerous health problems from mites to allergies to interdigital cysts to bladder stones. He died after a surgery to remove the bladder stones and we were heart broken. We spent more $ and time at several vet offices to count. We thought we found a good breeder but i think we were wrong! And after all this we crazy as it seems want another bulldog!
I would appreciate any info on good breeders in Alberta.
A former member
Post #: 3
Mike & Shauna
Couleebank Bulldogs
www.couleebank.com
this is where we got mongo ,great dogs and very good people to deal with.its sad to hear about your dog.may your new puppy bring you lots of happyness
tiffany
user 10506786
Red Deer, AB
I second the recommendation of CouleeBanks.
We adopted 4 year old Stella from them when they were retiring her from breeding and she is the best dog!
no health issues, lots of support when we have questions and just really great people to deal with.
I am not sure they will have puppies until the spring but if you are interested in an adult dog I think they may be retiring some..

good luck!
Tiffany and Stella
A former member
This may start to sound biased....but i would reccomened CouleeBank Bulldogs as well! They were great to deal with and their bulldogs are of great quality. Emma is doing great, we just had her spayed (shes 6months) and couldnt' be happier. You will prob have to wait for a puppy a little while but it would be worth the wait, or one of their breeder dogs would be a good choice to. Hope you find what you are looking for and so so sorry to hear about your dog.
Jackie & E.
user 4751417
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 15
Hi Michelle,

I am so sorry Buzz had so many problems, what a heartbreaking experience.

I thought about whether I wanted to reply to your question, because my experience with my bulldog Zsu Zsi has been very difficult and I don't like to speak badly of anyone, but I think finding a good breeder is very important.

I purchased Zsu Zsi from Iroc Bulldogs (Sherwood Park) four years ago. Shortly after I got her home she went lame in three legs. Some time after that she started displaying severe allergy symptoms. I could not find a food that she could keep down. She was also bleeding from the mouth and we could not find a reason.

Zsu Zsi has displacia in her knees, hips, elbows and shoulders. She has a hemophiliac disease called Von Willebrand Disease (blood clotting difficulties) . When I mentioned to the breeder that Zsu Zsi had Von Willebrand Disease (a genetic disorder), she emailed me back stating that she didn't know Bulldogs could get Von Willebrand and left it at that. I was stunned. Her allergies are very serious and can be difficult to manage. She recently had emergency surgery because of a serious elongated soft palette and everted laryngeal saccules. Most, if not all, of these are genetic.

Aside from these health issues (and there are others), and I have not received her registration papers yet ... after 4 years and several requests .

I truly hope you find a good breeder , I think responsible breeding for healthy animals is extremely important. To see your pet suffer is impossibly difficult.

Olive and E.
user 11109173
Edmonton, AB
Hi Michelle,

I am so sorry Buzz had so many problems, what a heartbreaking experience.

I thought about whether I wanted to reply to your question, because my experience with my bulldog Zsu Zsi has been very difficult and I don't like to speak badly of anyone, but I think finding a good breeder is very important.

I purchased Zsu Zsi from Iroc Bulldogs (Sherwood Park) four years ago. Shortly after I got her home she went lame in three legs. Some time after that she started displaying severe allergy symptoms. I could not find a food that she could keep down. She was also bleeding from the mouth and we could not find a reason.

Zsu Zsi has displacia in her knees, hips, elbows and shoulders. She has a hemophiliac disease called Von Willebrand Disease (blood clotting difficulties) . When I mentioned to the breeder that Zsu Zsi had Von Willebrand Disease (a genetic disorder), she emailed me back stating that she didn't know Bulldogs could get Von Willebrand and left it at that. I was stunned. Her allergies are very serious and can be difficult to manage. She recently had emergency surgery because of a serious elongated soft palette and everted laryngeal saccules. Most, if not all, of these are genetic.

Aside from these health issues (and there are others), and I have not received her registration papers yet ... after 4 years and several requests .

I truly hope you find a good breeder , I think responsible breeding for healthy animals is extremely important. To see your pet suffer is impossibly difficult.

Do you mind if I ask who the mother and father were of your bully? I just bought a dog from them, and would like to know if they came from the same gene pool. Also, was it the main breeder, or her daughter? Sorry if I'm being to invasive.
Jackie & E.
user 4751417
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 19
Zsu Zsi's sire was Brendon (apparently one of the dogs from Belgium) and her mother was Gracie, who passed away over a year ago.

I dealt with Kandie (the mother).
A former member
Post #: 8
Our first experience with Iroc was a positive one. We were looking for an older puppy and Khandi had one that she had been given by another breeder to try and nurse back. This was Sumo. He apparently had severe dermititis and was a giant scab when he came to her. Khandi had him looking good and we convinced her we could deal with his food allergies. He was perfect other than food allergies. As long as we didn't mess with his food he was great. He was 4 yrs old though when we lost him to stomache cancer.

Before Sumo passed away we lost his best buddy our boxer to a brain tumor. We wanted another Bully so we called Khandi to see if she was retiring any dogs soon. She had a big girl that we ended up taking on a breeding contract. Basically she lived with us until she went into heat and then we take her back to be bred. As we understood it would only be one litter more as the dog was getting older. She had had 4 litters before. All c-section. Once she had her pups weaned she would be turned over to us. The contract we signed didn't specify how many litters though. The first time she went into heat, Khandi opted not to breed her as she had quite a few litters on the go. The second time we drove her out and dropped her off. She immediately pee'd on the rug and made it clear she didn't want to stay. Broke our hearts. Khandi made a comment that she was very releived that our girl was in heat as she just lost a whole litter of pups and also our girls daughter had died while expecting puppies. She commented she had a ton of deposits and no pups. We left with a bad feeling and sure enough we got a call later that week that our girl hadn't taken and she had decided to keep her to breed as soon as she went into heat again. Our girl had large litters so Khandi was going to continue breeding her "for awhile". We had seen it coming and didn't bother to argue. We figure the dog didn't take as she was too old (her muzzle was grey). As well she really needed her palette and nose done to improve her breathing but Khandi didn't think it was necessary. We had planned to do it as soon as she was legally ours. We decided to go elsewhere for our next bully. She came from a work associate of my husbands from Texas. I don't even know if they're breeding English now. They were getting into frenchies.

My impression of Iroc Bulldogs is that Khandi does care but I get the feeling money is a priority over the dogs at times. I wouldn't recommend based on our experiences though.

If you need a good vet though I can help!

Keri
tiffany
user 10506786
Red Deer, AB
Post #: 6
Hi Keri,
I am sorry to hear about your girl. That is sad to get so attached to a dog and have to give her up.
The way I see it, breeders HAVE to view dogs differently that we as pet owners do or else they wouldn't be able to breed them and give them up like they do.

I know when we adopted our Stella, Shauna from Couleebank was a blubbering mess all day long :)
she loved her, but she knew Stella was going to a loving home and we have taken her back for visits to see her "other mother".

However I know Shauna and Mike have alot of dogs, and they simply couldn't be attached to all of them the way we are to our babies.

I don't know if that makes sense, but that is how I rationalize it.

Tiffany
A former member
Post #: 9
Hi Keri,
I am sorry to hear about your girl. That is sad to get so attached to a dog and have to give her up.
The way I see it, breeders HAVE to view dogs differently that we as pet owners do or else they wouldn't be able to breed them and give them up like they do.

I know when we adopted our Stella, Shauna from Couleebank was a blubbering mess all day long :)
she loved her, but she knew Stella was going to a loving home and we have taken her back for visits to see her "other mother".

However I know Shauna and Mike have alot of dogs, and they simply couldn't be attached to all of them the way we are to our babies.

I don't know if that makes sense, but that is how I rationalize it.

Tiffany

You are abosolutely correct. We looked at the girl we had from Iroc as a loaner. Although we got attached we always had in the back of our mind that she wasn't legally ours. We did not fight with Iroc at all, we just got the feeling that maybe she had spent the puppy deposits and needed our girl to make puppies quick. We made a point of not checking on our girl latter because we were really concerned she wouldn't make it through another pregnancy in her shape. We didn't want bad news.

I really don't think they are bad people at Iroc, just money is sometimes a factor. In over their heads at times and a little desperate maybe? Just my impression, not fact. They did take in Sumo and nursed him and planned to let him live out his days there so they do care.

I've heard only good things about Couleebank though. And Stella looks beautiful in her pictures!

Keri