I am starting this group for adults looking to get out, meet new people and have fun in a really casual environment. I love living in the suburbs and don't always want to drive to the cities to meet up with friends. Ideally this group will attract people from Burnsville, Apple Valley, Eagan, Savage, Lakeville, etc. Who should join? I really don't want to be exclusionary. I think my target demographic is 30 - 60, male, female, transgendered, transsexual, straight, gay, single, married, separated, divorced, polyamorous, anti-dating, whatever. If you are an adult who is looking for a NON hook up group, this may be the fit for you.
I want a broad interest group who is not dedicated to one specific goal. I am looking for people who are interested in doing stuff, and trying to get those people together. Again, this is not a single and searching group. If you meet someone in the group & fall in love that's icing on the cake -- but not what the group is about. This group is for all people, whether you are single or part of a couple. I like the dynamic that women create together, but I don't want to exclude guys. I do want to create an atmosphere of familiarity that engenders trust and sharing stories about our personal lives, grousing about our mates or bosses, etc. I personally am looking for a few people who I click with that like to do some of the same stuff I do -- and who can introduce me to their interests. It's my hope that other members find the same.
I consider myself a non-athletic athlete. That means that I like to get outside and get active, but I lack any real athletic ability. Group activities will include: walking, hiking (with or without dogs), tennis, rollerblading, badminton, bocce, volleyball, softball and kayaking. The target demographic will like to do these things, but like me, not seriously enough to want to join an official league. I would also like to get together with friends for cookouts, board games, gossip, ice cream, eating out, movies, a little gambling at the casino, etc.
I am a non-native Minnesotan and really have a limited knowledge of the greater Twin Cities area. And while I don't want to join a group that necessitates me always driving to Mpls because that's where all the cool stuff is, I am not adverse to having some gatherings at interesting metro locales. While I am starting this group and therefore the "organizer," I am looking for some co-pilots. I am 100% open to input and gathering suggestions. I am just trying to get the ball rolling.
There are a bazillion interesting groups on Meet Up, but none that seem to describe me and what I am looking for. I love board games, but am not really committed enough to join a group dedicated just to that. I work from home, but don't want to join a networking group specifically for work from home peers. I am a "strong career woman" but that's not what I'm looking for. I have some incredibly good friends, but scheduling and geography gets in the way sometimes. I am looking for some new friends who live in my area and just want to join a casual group. I won't be planning 10 different gatherings every week. There will be no hip, trendy or cool activities planned. (Well they'll be cool to me, but not "cool.") I want this to be a let's get together for a walk or hike on Saturday and maybe grab a bite to eat afterwards. A hey, anyone want to catch a movie this weekend? Anyone up for tennis tonight? I am not opposed to planning the occasional big group get together -- maybe a potluck in the park, sponsor a blood drive, volunteer to pick up trash -- wild & crazy stuff like that. My greatest goal is that fellow happy to be suburbanites come out and meet each other. Hopefully we'll all find one or two people that we click with.
1) In order to have an accurate sense of how many people are actually interested in getting together, I have set this site up so that any members who are inactive for 6 months will be cut from the group. If you are simply busy and haven't been able to make any recent meet ups but still want to be in the group you can simply rejoin.
2) I detest rudeness. I find RSVP'ing to an event and then not showing up to be rude to both the event host as well as the other attendees who are left to wait & wonder. Members who have 3 no shows will be automatically removed from the group. Members who routinely cancel at the last minute may also face elimination.
3) To keep this experience pleasant for everyone, I ask that people be on time. When dealing with groups, I hate to make 10 people wait because one person is late. Patience is not my forte, so when I am the event host I will wait 5 minutes, maybe 10, but no longer.
4) The focus of this group is fun. We are all adults so I expect that we will all treat each other fairly, kindly and as we'd want to be treated. If you have complaints about anything that occurs, feel free to address them with me. That being said, I don't want to be a teacher scolding students. I started the group so I could have fun too.
5) Speaking of starting the group, there are expenses associated with maintaining the group. There are biannual website fees, paperwork, etc. I am not running this group to turn a profit, but I am also not in a position to run it at a loss. I do not want to impose dues as I know some people can't afford it. To that end I am requesting ANNUAL donations. People can pay me a few bucks when they see me at an event, or they can donate online through Amazon Payments. My goal is that enough people will donate so that I do not have to charge dues. And if I turn a profit I can use that money to rent a shelter and host a picnic, or have events with door prizes -- fun things like that.
6) Please feel free to get involved. I have the site set up so that anyone can schedule a meet up. If you have questions about how to do so, just email me and we'll work together to get it scheduled. Or if you don't want to host a meet up but have great ideas, email me those. I am completely open to suggestions.
7) Don't be afraid to try new things. I think we all get a little nervous about venturing outside our comfort zone, but you only live once.