add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

CFI Skeptics of Eugene Message Board › Yet another science thread

Yet another science thread

Lee J.
user 13404892
Eugene, OR
Post #: 15
Seems like it's been a busy week for cool science stuff. I'm creating a thread to post things others might find interesting. Comments and other cool stuff are also welcome.

I'm sure few missed the claim that CERN has fired neutrinos faster than the speed of light:

Like good scientists, they are asking for independent verification. I read through some of the many steps they took to ensure accuracy and I was impressed. But then again, I'm still impressed by our kitchen scale.

It seems like an unlikely result, but one of the refreshing aspects of science is that nothing is considered unquestionable "dogma." One opinion is that it doesn't "actually" contradict relativity:

And then there's the question of the arrival time of neutrinos from supernovas:

Lee J.
user 13404892
Eugene, OR
Post #: 16
Better get out your tinfoil hats! Scientists in Berkeley have managed to recreate ghostly images formed within people's brains by recording brain activity while people watched video clips. There might be some tweaking going on to select the best results (and some rather extensive machine-learning), but to be able to do this at all seems amazing. Here's an article complete with video clips:

How long before we can watch someone else's imagination on our iphone? (That might be dark.)

Deborah B.
Eugene, OR
Post #: 3
Lee... I did see the articles on CERN and just loved that! I, too, look forward to what the verification process yields.

Hadn't seen the Berkeley article. Fascinating and unsettling.

Thanks for posting!
Dennis T.
user 16446691
Springfield, OR
Post #: 1
Thanks for starting this. I too found the article interesting and looking forward to additional info as it comes along. Also, I bookmarked the sites and found other articles of interest to me, such as genetics and anthropology.
A former member
Post #: 3
thank you for sharing the links, Lee ... with online access to resources such as these, how on earth can anyone ever be bored? Only one was familiar to me, thus many new doors opened for curiosity to step through smile.
Lee J.
user 13404892
Eugene, OR
Post #: 17
@Deborah - Unsettling is right. The potential for abuse seems huge.

@Dennis & Delina - Most the science news I read is picked up from news aggregator sites and a few science blogs. When I end up on one of the better science websites like those above, I can definitely spend a lot of time just clicking through from one interesting article to the next.

Alright, I'm posting another news story here to keep things going. Scientists in Alberta, Canada have found a number of 70-85 million year old pieces of amber containing preserved dinosaur feathers. Prior to this discovery, evidence for dinosaur feathers came only from fossilized impressions, so this is a big step up in detail. There's a neat slide show with descriptions here:­

And yet more photos here (I linked to this because I like the last picture):

If somebody makes a Jurassic Park 4 based on current evidence, will fuzzy dinosaurs still be scary?
Deborah B.
Eugene, OR
Post #: 4
I hear you've tangled with roosters... how can you even ask? ;)
Lowell T.
user 9892585
Eugene, OR
Post #: 44
Now, when I use "dinosaur feathers" as an expletive, I can do so with real conviction.

The Sinosauropteryx illustration is now my desktop photo.
Ruth M.
Nice, FR
Post #: 151
Send me an email if you want a dinosaur slide show screen saver I made (as a gift from me). Some of the dinos in the screen saver have feathers. If you want to see some pics or try the demo go here:

Ruth M.
Nice, FR
Post #: 153
Union of Concerned Scientists Editorial Cartoon

The sixth annual Scientific Integrity Cartoon Contest has ended, and the winner is John Klossner of South Berwick, Maine!

John's cartoon, shown here below, will grace the front cover and June page of the 2012 Scientific Integrity Calendar.