addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

CFI Skeptics of Eugene Message Board › Atheist Holiday Party

Atheist Holiday Party

Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Nice, FR
Post #: 6
What would an atheists holiday party look like?
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Nice, FR
Post #: 7
Mine would have kid stuff abounding with plenty of treats and presents and parody. Like Tim Minchin's music (via YouTube), or Bob Rivers' "Twisted Christmas" and "I Am Santa Claus." Presents would be art, books, music, poetry, cook books crafts, jewelry etc about and by atheists. The songs from "Do They Know it's Christmas/Feed the World would be lovely. Anything peace oriented. Science stuff. Or no presents -- added expense and/or junk collection isn't a necessity. Atheists games. Maybe we could reserve an EWEB room and have a multitude of activities going on.

We could share religious jokes!

And of course it doesn't have to happen in December.
A former member
Post #: 23
This will be my 2nd year as an atheist; last year I went ahead and just celebrated the somewhat traditional christmas with my family as I had done for the previous several decades.

So here is my question on this topic. What DO atheists typically do on days like christmas and easter? I have no knowledge about what people might do with their time if they weren't celebrating the specific event...not that that's what the religious people are actually doing anyway, but you know what I mean I'm sure. What I'm saying is, I've spent my entire life within that christian realm, so being outside feels foreign, albeit a huge relief. :)

I no longer have children in my household, but what might attract me to a holiday-time event would be an opportunity to relax and just socialize in the company of a good-hearted people in a warm atmosphere, food and drink aplenty and aflowing, with couches and chairs around for lounging and table sets available for sitting at or eating or playing games with others. The right music playing somewhere. Maybe a fire in the fireplace.

A "holiday spirit" celebration (as opposed to a holiday "spirit" celebration) that demonstrates and celebrates peace and good will toward all.

And of course with a cleanup crew afterwards....:)

That's my 2c.

Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Nice, FR
Post #: 15
Sounds good.

I've always done the decorations, music etc because I'm basically a kid at heart but I would refer to the tree as my pagan symbolism. These Days I decorate outside my house with lots of peace signs and some blow up Santa and Snoopy characters. I like kids and usually have at least one in my life at any given time.

When I send cards they are happy holiday and peace cards. When I was in San Diego there was often a Winter Solstice celebration but I never made it to one of those. That might be interesting.

With new atheist friends I can see creativity aplenty -- as long as it's fun and socially oriented I'm game.
Lowell T.
user 9892585
Eugene, OR
Post #: 10
I am willing to host darn near any event, although a party would be my very least favorite because I'm more of a small and quiet event kind of a person. So, I'm wondering if anyone else would LIKE to host a party in December.

Board games are good, and I can host one or more of those if you would like.

Movie nights are also good, and I can host them too, although my TV is somewhat small--around 30 inches, I think. We watched Religulous two or three months back, but most of our members came along since then, so I'll just throw that out as a possible idea. However--as I see it--a movie wouldn't HAVE to be relevant to the scope of CFI anymore than the board games we play would have to be relevant to the scope of CFI, because the goal of forming community would still be served. Of course, if we could come up with something good that was relevant, that would be even better.

"What DO atheists typically do on days like christmas and easter?"

Some are into celebrating the winter solstice, but I rather doubt that most atheists do much of anything to commemorate the spring equinox. We could though. If you or anyone else wants to sponsor an event, it would be a rare day that you couldn't count on me to help you if you wanted my help.
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Nice, FR
Post #: 17
The rules for using the EWEB room says no parties but if a party was also a meeting we might fit their rules. I'll call tomorrow and ask -- we could all contribute info about how we celebrate parties and maybe even some history. I'll check if they have WIFI (they probably do) and if so we can do a small amount of internet surfing on atheist celebrations during Christian holidays (maybe) and maybe use their projector system to project the info so we can all read along (depending on how many attend).

As soon as I have some info I'll post it here.

EWEB room info
http://www.eweb.org/c...­

THIS IS THE REPLY I GOT FROM EWEB ON USE OF A PROJECTOR

I'm sorry EWEB only supplies tables and chairs for meetings. There is a screen in each room with a toggle switch on the wall. Here is an application to review with our guidelines for use. I am currently making reservations for 2011 for groups that have been using our rooms for years so it will be a week or so before I will know availability.
Thank you,
Kara

Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Nice, FR
Post #: 22
NOTE: I found this on the net -- Just food for thought

I propose the following Atheist Holidays:

January 10th, "Bertram Boltwood Day" - Jan 1907 his paper "The Ultimate Disintegration Products of the Radio-active Elements. Part II. The disintegration products of uranium." wa published in the American Journal of Science. He discovered how to calculate the age of a rock. His calculations put Earth's age at 2.2 billion years. We now think the Earth is nearly twice that age, but this number was a dramatic increase over the accepted age at the time.

February 12th, "Charles Darwin's Birthday" - Duh.

November 1 All Scientists Day
Lowell T.
user 9892585
Eugene, OR
Post #: 25
I would be in favor of a mellow kind of party.

In answer to Sally's question, Peggy and I put up a tree and have other Christmas decorations. Although they lean toward Santa rather than Jesus, there are a few angels on the tree, some of which I have had since I was a baby. To me, the holiday is about tradition rather than religion. I have been to an occasional Solstice celebration, and I think they're good too, and solstice is certainly the source of the Christian holiday.
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Nice, FR
Post #: 70
The University of Oregon Natural History Museum is having a Winter Solstice Party on Friday December 17 from 5-8 PM

Cultures from around the world are celebrated through music, dance and activities. Bring the entire family for fun and festivities! Give back to your community and enjoy FREE admission when you bring in a nonperishable food item that will be donated to Food for Lane County.

The evening kicks off with family activities, basketry demonstrations, food and live music from students of the John G. Shedd's Jazz trio, led by Joe Manis. Performances continue throughout the evening at the Many Nations Longhouse and the museum with songs and stories from Uncle Bunkle, storytelling with Anun Toke, and the Chinese American Benevolent Society's (CABA) Lion Dancers. Bikes from UO's Outdoor Program will be onsite for visitors to pedal and help generate electricity needed for the event. At 6:30 p.m., Gregory Bothun, Professor of Physics presents Environmental Cosmology and Planetary Citizenship. The lecture will explore how understanding the universe and adopting a cosmological perspective can help us become a more sustainable civilization.

Past and Presents, the museum store will be open for holiday shopping and museum memberships will be offered in "gift" packets for a gift that gives all year.

NOTE: They have some very cool posters including one of human evolution. Make for nice holiday gifts.

Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Nice, FR
Post #: 107
Darwin Day is February 12

Anybody want to host a holiday party then?