CFI Skeptics of Eugene Message Board › Atheism-related links

Atheism-related links

Bob H.
user 13348486
Eugene, OR
Post #: 11
This reply by Harris typifies a complaint I have with book reviews. It seems that often people review with the intent of denigrating rather than reporting. It seems necessary to boost one's importance by reducing the prestige of another's work. I once heard the beginning of a book review as " This is a lousy book and it is poorly written. There is a factual error so I had to discount the accuracy of the entire book." I am sure there are errors in every book, but as it turns out, the reviewer mis-read the passage they objected to.

Critical thinking is hard and not without pitfalls but, like physical exercise, it strengthens and provides many more rewards than simple acceptance.
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 111
No, Atheists Don't Have to Show "Respect" for Religion

... some of the ugliest, nastiest, most bigoted anti-atheist rhetoric I've heard has come from progressive and moderate believers espousing the supposedly tolerant principles of ecumenicalism. I've been called a fascist, a zealot, a missionary; I've been called hateful, intolerant, close-minded, dogmatic; I've been compared to Glenn Beck and Joseph Stalin and Adolph Hitler more times than I can count. All by progressive and moderate believers, who were outraged at the very notion of atheists pointing out the flaws in religious ideas and making an argument that these ideas are probably not true. Progressive and moderate believers who normally are passionate advocates for free expression of ideas will get equally passionate about demanding that atheists shut the hell up.
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 112
Kurt
kujo78
Happy Valley, OR
Post #: 114
As the article states, Pete Stark publicly declares he's an atheist. Also, there are 23 congressmen total who behind closed doors tell our lobbiests they are atheist. Though, maybe behind closed doors they are always "really on your side". They are politicians after all.

Regardless, I do look forward to the day that no politician has to be afraid of publicly labeling themselves as an atheist. The more we participate in groups like this and let others know that we normal neighbors are actually atheists, the quicker this will change.
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 114
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 118
FRC Seeks to "Tear Down" Planned Parenthood's "Spiritual Strongholds" With Prayer Rallies

If you need any more proof that "strategic level spiritual warfare" is makings its way from the outward fringes into the heart of the Religious Right movement, look no further than this new Family Research Council prayer update calling upon its activists to "tear down the spiritual strongholds" of Planned Parenthood by holding prayer rallies outside the offices of their members of Congress this Friday:
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 119
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 120
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 121
Anti-Abortion Georgia Lawmaker Proposes Law That Would Criminalize Miscarriages
www.huffingtonpost.com
Are lawmakers from the "women are chattel" set having some sort of nation-wide competition to see who can get the most sick-minded anti-abortion law enacted? Sure seems that way!

Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 122